"Equipping Local Church Musicians for the Work of the Ministry"
1. Identify the number of steps between the two notes.
Music Theory, Lesson 4: Piano Notes
2. A song in which the main beat can be subdivided into 3 parts is in _____.
Conducting, Lesson 2: Finding the Pulse
3. A hook must contain the identical rhythmic pattern as the song you are playing.
Inspirational Improvisation - Piano, Lesson 8: Hooks
4. Everyone who claims to be a Christian has been "born-again."
Bible Music Philosophy, Lesson 4: What Is Christian Music?
5. A good pianist maintains a good balance between confidence and humility.
Inspirational Improvisation - Piano, Lesson 9: Feeling
6. Which type of music is more likely to appeal to the flesh?
Bible Music Philosophy, Lesson 7: Musical Balance
7. In 4/4 time, the half note receives how many beats?
Sight Singing, Lesson 2: Quarter, Half and Whole Notes
8. A three note chord consisting of notes a third apart is called a ____.
Inspirational Improvisation - Piano, Lesson 1: Understanding Foundational Chords and Function
9. Name the note.
Music Theory, Lesson 3: Note Names
10. Identify the following note.
Sight Singing, Lesson 1: Discover the Pulse
11. The text can only reflect sound doctrine when it is _______.
Vocal Technique, Lesson 9: Communicate the Message
12. A "free" or relaxed tone is indicated by a smooth _______.
Vocal Technique, Lesson 5: Phonation - Vocal Production
shake in the voice
13. The student should read the following figure as _____.
Sight Singing, Lesson 3: Eighths, Sixteenths and Triplets
14. Who sent out a choir before the army when facing his enemies?
Bible Music Philosophy, Lesson 3: A History of Music in the Bible
15. When did the "morning stars" sing?
Vocal Technique, Lesson 1: A Reason to Sing
At the resurrection
When Jesus left heaven
When Noah and his family got off the ark
The dedication of the temple
When Moses received the law
16. The cesura indicates that the performer is to _____.
Music Theory, Lesson 9: Accidentals and Phrasing
Hold the syllable through two or more pitches
Raise the pitch
Lower the pitch
17. Which of the following means "fast and bright?"
Music Theory, Lesson 7: Tempo Markings
18. A chord progression that moves up or down by whole or half steps is called a ____.
Inspirational Improvisation - Piano, Lesson 6: Step Progressions
19. The pharynx is the open area behind the _______.
Vocal Technique, Lesson 6: Resonance
20. We are only able to serve _____ master(s).
Bible Music Philosophy, Lesson 1: Take Me to Your Leader
21. Which of the following should not characterize the relationship of the music to the text?
Bible Music Philosophy, Lesson 2: Music Speaks
22. The bump on the front of the throat that indicates the position of the larynx is called the _______.
Vocal Technique, Lesson 4: The Vocal Mechanism
23. Doubling should mostly be avoided, except when doubling the ____ note.
Inspirational Improvisation - Piano, Lesson 5: Voicing
24. The Bible teaches that for a Christian to obtain wisdom, he should _____.
Bible Music Philosophy, Lesson 8: Developing Discernment
Read many books
Use his imagination
Meditate a lot
Pray for it
25. Breathing for singing causes the stomach to ______ on exhalation.
Vocal Technique, Lesson 3: Breathe from the Diaphragm
26. Holding the left hand, palm downward, while slowly moving down indicates a/an _____.
Conducting, Lesson 7: The Left Hand
27. One of the purposes of conducting is to _____.
Conducting, Lesson 1: Introduction to Conducting
Distract the audience from mistakes
Increase the conductors sphere of influence
Cover up musical anomalies
Entertain the performers
Ensure musical variety and vitality
Make musicians aware of the conductor's presence
28. The vocal folds should _______ as you sing higher.
Vocal Technique, Lesson 7: Vocal Registers
29. Accidentals affect the _____ of a note
Sight Singing, Lesson 8: Reading Accidentals
30. The following is an example of a _____.
Music Theory, Lesson 2: Staff Notation
31. In the following figure, the highlighted note would be sung by the _____.
Sight Singing, Lesson 9: Singing Parts
32. Most Old Testament musicians who performed in the temple were simply volunteers.
Bible Music Philosophy, Lesson 5: Music in the Church
33. The jaw should be _______.
Vocal Technique, Lesson 2: Supportive Posture
relaxed at the hinge
controlled by the tongue
34. Psalm 119:54 says, "Thy _____ have been my songs."
Bible Music Philosophy, Lesson 6: The Power of Music
35. An interval that is a half step larger than a major is called _____.
Music Theory, Lesson 5: Intervals
36. The notes 1, 3 and 5 make up the _____.
Sight Singing, Lesson 6: Pitch Movement
37. The V7 chord has a strong "pull" toward resolving into a I chord because it contains a ____.
Inspirational Improvisation - Piano, Lesson 3: Minor Chord Substitutions
38. How many beats does a half note get?
Music Theory, Lesson 1: Notes and Rests
39. Matched vowel sounds create a _______.
Vocal Technique, Lesson 8: Articulation and Phrasing
nice word color
good choral sound
full sounding solo
40. Which of these words were not used to describe Old Testament musicians?
Bible Music Philosophy, Lesson 9: Moving Forward
41. The purpose of a _____ is to stop the sound.
Conducting, Lesson 4: Beginning, Holding and Ending
42. Please identify this portion of the conducting pattern diagram.
Conducting, Lesson 3: Basic Conducting Patterns
Flick of the wrist
43. Conducting is an ongoing dialogue between the _____ and the _____.
Conducting, Lesson 8: Other Body Language
Performers, other performers
Audience, other audience members
44. Suspensions are a particularly effective way to create ____.
Inspirational Improvisation - Piano, Lesson 7: Technical Treatments
Right hand arpeggios
Low register melodies
Left hand arpeggios
Inner voice movement
45. Identify the following accent mark.
Music Theory, Lesson 8: Dynamics and Accents
46. Showing more force on a particular beat indicates a/an _____.
Conducting, Lesson 5: Expressive Gestures
47. The _____ beat patterns can be used in slow, compound meter songs.
Conducting, Lesson 6: Advanced Conducting Patterns
6, 9, 12
2, 3, 4
4, 5, 6
5, 7, 9
1, 2, 3
4, 9, 12
48. Identify the name of the major key.
Music Theory, Lesson 6: Key Signatures
49. Who does not necessarily need a copy of the service schedule?
Conducting, Lesson 9: Congregational Song Leading
The assistant pastor
50. A good rule of thumb is to use your ____ to play color notes, if possible.
Inspirational Improvisation - Piano, Lesson 4: Adding Color Notes
All content on this site copyright © 2015 by Asaph Music Co.