"Equipping Local Church Musicians for the Work of the Ministry"
1. A song in which the main beat can be subdivided into 3 parts is in _____.
Conducting, Lesson 2: Finding the Pulse
2. In 4/4 time, the following note receives _____ beat(s).
Sight Singing, Lesson 3: Eighths, Sixteenths and Triplets
3. Identify the following note.
Sight Singing, Lesson 1: Discover the Pulse
4. What is the order of flats in a key signature?
Music Theory, Lesson 6: Key Signatures
5. The congregational song leader should _____.
Conducting, Lesson 9: Congregational Song Leading
Never conduct with his hands
Never vary the songs
Berate the congregation for singing badly
Sing loudly through each verse
Encourage the congregation
Expect everyone to always sing unison
6. According to the book of Job, who "sang together" at creation?
Bible Music Philosophy, Lesson 3: A History of Music in the Bible
Trees of the field
The morning stars
7. Which of these is NOT a good use of the left hand?
Conducting, Lesson 7: The Left Hand
Mirror the right hand
Move it in the same direction as the right hand
Help carry a note over
Indicate separate cut-offs
Cue for movement within parts
8. A marcato note can be indicated by a _____ ictus.
Conducting, Lesson 5: Expressive Gestures
9. The chest should be lightly _______.
Vocal Technique, Lesson 2: Supportive Posture
10. The primary focus of your music ought to be ____.
Inspirational Improvisation - Piano, Lesson 9: Feeling
11. Which type of music tends more to have music that contradicts the text?
Bible Music Philosophy, Lesson 7: Musical Balance
12. The chest voice is primarily resonated in _______.
Vocal Technique, Lesson 6: Resonance
the sinus cavities
the larynx and upper thorax
13. The following picture represents a _____.
Music Theory, Lesson 1: Notes and Rests
14. The term that refers to the notes that naturally occur in any given key (no accidentals) is ____.
Inspirational Improvisation - Piano, Lesson 2: Adding 7ths
15. An inverted major third is a/an _____.
Music Theory, Lesson 5: Intervals
16. According to Proverbs 23:7, you will become what you _____.
Bible Music Philosophy, Lesson 8: Developing Discernment
Want to be
Decide to be
17. Identify the following music notation.
Music Theory, Lesson 2: Staff Notation
18. Singers should strive to equalize the ________.
Vocal Technique, Lesson 8: Articulation and Phrasing
19. Good breathing technique creates a larger range of _______ and _______.
Vocal Technique, Lesson 3: Breathe from the Diaphragm
volume, phrase duration
resonance, head voice
20. Any dominant chord can be substituted by the dominant that is a ____ away.
Inspirational Improvisation - Piano, Lesson 6: Step Progressions
21. When indicating a held out note, do not _____.
Conducting, Lesson 4: Beginning, Holding and Ending
Indicate the ictus
Move upward slowly
Break or carry over
22. Men who sing the mid-range notes are called _____.
Sight Singing, Lesson 9: Singing Parts
Second sopranos/mezzo sopranos
23. Name the piano note.
Music Theory, Lesson 4: Piano Notes
24. The ____ chord can be easily substituted for the I chord.
Inspirational Improvisation - Piano, Lesson 3: Minor Chord Substitutions
25. The conductor's _____ can be used effectively to present entrance cues.
Conducting, Lesson 8: Other Body Language
26. Name a known Bible musician
Vocal Technique, Lesson 1: A Reason to Sing
27. The pianist should never attempt to use his/her creativity to come up with something new.
Inspirational Improvisation - Piano, Lesson 8: Hooks
28. Left handed people should conduct primarily with _____.
Conducting, Lesson 1: Introduction to Conducting
The left hand
The right hand
An open hand
29. Doubling can be effective when used in ____.
Inspirational Improvisation - Piano, Lesson 7: Technical Treatments
Inner voice movement
Low register melodies
Right hand arpeggios
Left hand arpeggios
30. Identify the following accent mark.
Music Theory, Lesson 8: Dynamics and Accents
31. The most natural progression from one chord to the next is movement by a ____.
Inspirational Improvisation - Piano, Lesson 1: Understanding Foundational Chords and Function
32. Which of the following is not a purpose of Christian music?
Bible Music Philosophy, Lesson 4: What Is Christian Music?
33. The singer should _______ the listeners.
Vocal Technique, Lesson 9: Communicate the Message
collect fees from
make eye contact with
34. The flap that closes when swallowing is called the _______.
Vocal Technique, Lesson 4: The Vocal Mechanism
35. Singers should drink plenty of _______.
Vocal Technique, Lesson 5: Phonation - Vocal Production
36. Which of the following means "moderately fast?"
Music Theory, Lesson 7: Tempo Markings
37. The breath mark looks like a/an _____.
Music Theory, Lesson 9: Accidentals and Phrasing
38. A 9th note is commonly used to color major 7th, minor 7th, and dominant chords.
Inspirational Improvisation - Piano, Lesson 4: Adding Color Notes
39. The following notes in the major key of C move by _____.
Sight Singing, Lesson 6: Pitch Movement
Moving stepwise within the scale
Staying on the same pitch
Skipping around within the tonic triad
40. In 4/4 time, the half note receives how many beats?
Sight Singing, Lesson 2: Quarter, Half and Whole Notes
41. You are singing in chest voice when singing _______.
Vocal Technique, Lesson 7: Vocal Registers
a "rattly" sound
above the bridges
42. The word that means "to change your mind about sin" is _____.
Bible Music Philosophy, Lesson 1: Take Me to Your Leader
43. The tonic note is the _____ note of the scale.
Sight Singing, Lesson 5: Pitches and Scales
44. Asaph, Ethan and Heman were all called _____, which means "prophets."
Bible Music Philosophy, Lesson 5: Music in the Church
45. Name the note.
Music Theory, Lesson 3: Note Names
46. The voicing used for a particular chord depends on the type of chord and what the ____ note is.
Inspirational Improvisation - Piano, Lesson 5: Voicing
47. This conducting pattern is used to direct a song with how many beats?
Conducting, Lesson 6: Advanced Conducting Patterns
48. This conducting pattern is used to direct a song with how many beats?
Conducting, Lesson 3: Basic Conducting Patterns
49. Saul's "evil spirit departed" as a result of David's harp playing. This was a _____ affect.
Bible Music Philosophy, Lesson 6: The Power of Music
50. Identify the curved line in the following figure.
Sight Singing, Lesson 4: Advanced Rhythm
All content on this site copyright © 2016 by Asaph Music Co.