"Equipping Local Church Musicians for the Work of the Ministry"
1. Which of the following means "extremely fast?"
Music Theory, Lesson 7: Tempo Markings
2. Which of the following is in simple meter?
Conducting, Lesson 2: Finding the Pulse
3. The following picture denotes a _____.
Music Theory, Lesson 2: Staff Notation
4. The primary cut-off motion looks like _____.
Conducting, Lesson 1: Introduction to Conducting
An upward bounce
Half the height of a downbeat
A vertical or downward motion
A looping or pinching motion
5. If a key signature has 3 flats, which notes are flatted?
Music Theory, Lesson 6: Key Signatures
6. When conducting with the left hand mirroring the right hand, up and down motions are _____, and right and left motions are _____.
Conducting, Lesson 7: The Left Hand
Inverted, the same
Opposite, the same
The same, opposite
The same, the same
7. Music standards should be based on _____.
Bible Music Philosophy, Lesson 1: Take Me to Your Leader
8. Identify the following image.
Sight Singing, Lesson 2: Quarter, Half and Whole Notes
Double bar lines
9. The _____ indicates the music is to pause momentarily.
Music Theory, Lesson 9: Accidentals and Phrasing
10. The following notes in the major key of C move by _____.
Sight Singing, Lesson 6: Pitch Movement
Staying on the same pitch
Skipping around within the tonic triad
Moving stepwise within the scale
11. "Dancing" in the Bible refers to _____.
Bible Music Philosophy, Lesson 5: Music in the Church
Ballroom type dances
Movement to music
12. A good pianist maintains a good balance between confidence and humility.
Inspirational Improvisation - Piano, Lesson 9: Feeling
13. People empathize with your _______, not your _______.
Vocal Technique, Lesson 9: Communicate the Message
14. The singer can practice breathing from the diaphragm by laying on his _______ on the floor.
Vocal Technique, Lesson 3: Breathe from the Diaphragm
hands and knees
15. Name the piano note.
Music Theory, Lesson 4: Piano Notes
16. The vocal folds are shaped like the letter _______.
Vocal Technique, Lesson 4: The Vocal Mechanism
17. Name the note.
Music Theory, Lesson 3: Note Names
18. The precise moment of the performer's first beat is indicated by conducting the _____.
Conducting, Lesson 4: Beginning, Holding and Ending
19. All of the different vowel sounds should be _______.
Vocal Technique, Lesson 8: Articulation and Phrasing
20. Please identify this portion of the conducting pattern diagram.
Conducting, Lesson 3: Basic Conducting Patterns
Flick of the wrist
21. It is important that we write fresh new songs of praise for our generation.
Bible Music Philosophy, Lesson 9: Moving Forward
22. The "inner smile" is really only helpful when singing _______.
Vocal Technique, Lesson 6: Resonance
in the whistle register
in head voice
23. The shoulders should be held _______.
Vocal Technique, Lesson 2: Supportive Posture
firmly back and down
firmly back and up
lightly down and forward
firmly forward and down
lightly forward and up
lightly up and back
24. What kind of note gets 2 beats?
Music Theory, Lesson 1: Notes and Rests
Double whole note
25. The term used to describe the position of the notes in a chord on the keyboard is ____.
Inspirational Improvisation - Piano, Lesson 5: Voicing
26. The student should sing an _____ vowel sound when raising the pitch a half step.
Sight Singing, Lesson 8: Reading Accidentals
27. Identify the perfect intervals.
Music Theory, Lesson 5: Intervals
Prime, fourth, sixth, octave
Prime, third, fifth, octave
Prime, third, fifth, seventh
Prime, fourth, fifth, octave
Prime, fourth, fifth, seventh
Second, fourth, fifth, octave
28. Always strive for the most complete contrasts (from one extreme to the other) in your song arrangements.
Inspirational Improvisation - Piano, Lesson 7: Technical Treatments
29. When creating a hook, it is best to come up with the melody, chords and rhythm simultaneously.
Inspirational Improvisation - Piano, Lesson 8: Hooks
30. When adding the 7th note, the chord that will naturally become a Dominant chord is ____.
Inspirational Improvisation - Piano, Lesson 2: Adding 7ths
31. The _____ of a song speaks to our intellect and emtions.
Bible Music Philosophy, Lesson 2: Music Speaks
32. Which of the following is the loudest marking
Music Theory, Lesson 8: Dynamics and Accents
33. Identify the following note.
Sight Singing, Lesson 1: Discover the Pulse
34. Complete Psalm 118:14, "The Lord is my _______ and ______, and is become my __________."
Vocal Technique, Lesson 1: A Reason to Sing
strength, song, salvation
creator, helper, salvation
God, saviour, redeemer
help, hope, redeemer
strength, support, saviour
maker, music, master
35. Which of the following is not a Bible author who wrote, "The Lord is my song?"
Bible Music Philosophy, Lesson 6: The Power of Music
36. Low notes are sung in _______.
Vocal Technique, Lesson 7: Vocal Registers
super head voice
37. An eighth note triplet takes up the same amount of time as _____ eighth notes.
Sight Singing, Lesson 3: Eighths, Sixteenths and Triplets
38. Which type of music tends to be more rythmic in nature?
Bible Music Philosophy, Lesson 7: Musical Balance
39. The singer should maintain a feeling of _______ when singing.
Vocal Technique, Lesson 5: Phonation - Vocal Production
rigid chest muscles
open, suspended breath
40. Playing a IV chord in the right hand while playing the V note in the left is the same as a ____.
Inspirational Improvisation - Piano, Lesson 4: Adding Color Notes
Secret leading tone
41. Men who sing the lowest notes are called _____.
Sight Singing, Lesson 9: Singing Parts
Second sopranos/mezzo sopranos
42. How many half steps make up a major third?
Inspirational Improvisation - Piano, Lesson 1: Understanding Foundational Chords and Function
43. To be relevant to the culture is to be irrelevant to the purposes of God.
Bible Music Philosophy, Lesson 8: Developing Discernment
44. Christian music should agree with the teaching of _____.
Bible Music Philosophy, Lesson 4: What Is Christian Music?
Classical music theory
45. 1 Chronicles 23:5 states that David appointed _____ instrumentalists to praise the Lord.
Bible Music Philosophy, Lesson 3: A History of Music in the Bible
46. How many times should the song number be announced?
Conducting, Lesson 9: Congregational Song Leading
47. This conducting pattern is used to direct a song with how many beats?
Conducting, Lesson 6: Advanced Conducting Patterns
48. Identify the following chord.
Inspirational Improvisation - Piano, Lesson 3: Minor Chord Substitutions
49. A marcato note can be indicated by a _____ ictus.
Conducting, Lesson 5: Expressive Gestures
50. When arranging a hymn, you could easily replace most of the traditional church harmonies with chords that move by step.
Inspirational Improvisation - Piano, Lesson 6: Step Progressions
All content on this site copyright © 2014 by Asaph Music Co.