"Equipping Local Church Musicians for the Work of the Ministry"
1. The _____ is the window of the soul.
Conducting, Lesson 8: Other Body Language
2. The _____ tells the performer how many beats are in each measure.
Sight Singing, Lesson 2: Quarter, Half and Whole Notes
Double bar line
3. Notes below 1 should be numbered -1, -2, -3, etc.
Sight Singing, Lesson 6: Pitch Movement
4. Which of the following is in compound meter?
Conducting, Lesson 2: Finding the Pulse
5. We are to be _____ concerning that which is good, and _____ concerning that which is evil.
Bible Music Philosophy, Lesson 8: Developing Discernment
6. The vocal folds should _______ as you sing higher.
Vocal Technique, Lesson 7: Vocal Registers
7. The goal of good singing is _______.
Vocal Technique, Lesson 8: Articulation and Phrasing
8. In the following figure, the highlighted note would be sung by the _____.
Sight Singing, Lesson 9: Singing Parts
9. Identify the following music notation.
Music Theory, Lesson 2: Staff Notation
10. Name the following rest.
Sight Singing, Lesson 3: Eighths, Sixteenths and Triplets
11. The _____ carries the main message of the song, and should be emphasized.
Bible Music Philosophy, Lesson 5: Music in the Church
12. The most commonly used color note is the ____.
Inspirational Improvisation - Piano, Lesson 4: Adding Color Notes
13. To indicate a change in tempo, make the conducting pattern _____.
Conducting, Lesson 5: Expressive Gestures
Faster or slower
More or less accented
Longer or shorter
Smoother or more abrupt
Bigger or smaller
14. A natural sign in front of a note _____.
Sight Singing, Lesson 8: Reading Accidentals
Cancels out previous sharps and flats
Makes the note faster
Makes the note louder
Lowers the pitch a half step
Raises the pitch a half step
15. It is a good practice to maintain a single dynamic level through each section of the music.
Inspirational Improvisation - Piano, Lesson 9: Feeling
16. Identify the name of the major key.
Music Theory, Lesson 6: Key Signatures
17. When creating a hook, it is best to figure out one component at a time (melody -> chords -> rhythm).
Inspirational Improvisation - Piano, Lesson 8: Hooks
18. Name the following rest.
Music Theory, Lesson 1: Notes and Rests
Double whole rest
19. The ______ is/are shaped like the letter "V."
Vocal Technique, Lesson 4: The Vocal Mechanism
20. Asaph was skilled in writing _____.
Bible Music Philosophy, Lesson 9: Moving Forward
21. Not every chord in every hymn works well as a 7th chord.
Inspirational Improvisation - Piano, Lesson 2: Adding 7ths
22. Which of these would be a common grouping of beats within a 5 beat pattern?
Conducting, Lesson 6: Advanced Conducting Patterns
23. Identify the interval.
Music Theory, Lesson 5: Intervals
24. Closing the hand while bouncing downward indicates a _____.
Conducting, Lesson 4: Beginning, Holding and Ending
25. Who sent out a choir before the army when facing his enemies?
Bible Music Philosophy, Lesson 3: A History of Music in the Bible
26. When conducting with the left hand mirroring the right hand, up and down motions are _____, and right and left motions are _____.
Conducting, Lesson 7: The Left Hand
The same, opposite
Inverted, the same
Opposite, the same
The same, the same
27. When arranging a hymn, you could easily replace most of the traditional church harmonies with chords that move by step.
Inspirational Improvisation - Piano, Lesson 6: Step Progressions
28. The words to a song do communicate a message.
Bible Music Philosophy, Lesson 2: Music Speaks
29. Our music should _____ the saved and be a ______ to the lost.
Vocal Technique, Lesson 1: A Reason to Sing
30. In music notation, _____ means "strongly accented."
Music Theory, Lesson 8: Dynamics and Accents
31. What is the scale number of the following note in a major key?
Sight Singing, Lesson 5: Pitches and Scales
32. The preferred voicing for any 7th or color chord is ____ voicing.
Inspirational Improvisation - Piano, Lesson 5: Voicing
33. Music touches the listener _______.
Vocal Technique, Lesson 9: Communicate the Message
on many different levels
only through the music
only through the text
34. The singer's _______ should be relaxed at the hinge.
Vocal Technique, Lesson 2: Supportive Posture
35. The rebound follows the _____.
Conducting, Lesson 1: Introduction to Conducting
36. How many half steps make up a minor third?
Inspirational Improvisation - Piano, Lesson 1: Understanding Foundational Chords and Function
37. When creating a power style, contrary motion will always sound bigger than parallel motion.
Inspirational Improvisation - Piano, Lesson 7: Technical Treatments
38. Identify the movement of the following pitches in the major key of C.
Sight Singing, Lesson 7: Other Intervals
Stepwise within the scale
Movement to the 7th note of the scale
Skipping within the tonic triad
Skipping within the supertonic triad
39. The story of _____ demonstrates a three-fold affect that music can have on the listener.
Bible Music Philosophy, Lesson 4: What Is Christian Music?
David playing for Saul
Solomon's temple dedication
40. Sinus cavities are located behind the _______.
Vocal Technique, Lesson 6: Resonance
chin, upper lip, forehead
forehead, nose, cheekbones
41. This conducting pattern is used to direct a song with how many beats?
Conducting, Lesson 3: Basic Conducting Patterns
42. Which type of music tends to appeal more to better educated people?
Bible Music Philosophy, Lesson 7: Musical Balance
43. The following rhythm should be read as _____.
Sight Singing, Lesson 4: Advanced Rhythm
44. Name the note.
Music Theory, Lesson 3: Note Names
45. An apostrophe above the music indicates the performer is to _____.
Music Theory, Lesson 9: Accidentals and Phrasing
Hold the pitch
Lower the pitch
Raise the pitch
46. God Himself wrote a song for His people and gave it to ______.
Bible Music Philosophy, Lesson 6: The Power of Music
47. Identify the number of steps between the two notes.
Music Theory, Lesson 4: Piano Notes
48. The diaphragm contracts only on _______.
Vocal Technique, Lesson 3: Breathe from the Diaphragm
49. Which of these characters tried to serve God in his own way instead of God's way?
Bible Music Philosophy, Lesson 1: Take Me to Your Leader
50. Identify the following chord.
Inspirational Improvisation - Piano, Lesson 3: Minor Chord Substitutions
All content on this site copyright © 2018 by Asaph Music Co.