"Equipping Local Church Musicians for the Work of the Ministry"
1. Christian music should agree with the teaching of _____.
Bible Music Philosophy, Lesson 4: What Is Christian Music?
Classical music theory
2. Identify the red portion of the following note.
Music Theory, Lesson 1: Notes and Rests
3. Which of these do not refer to a vocal bridge?
Vocal Technique, Lesson 7: Vocal Registers
sudden change in quality
4. A "hook" is a short passage of a song that catches attention and is often repeated and used in various ways through the song.
Inspirational Improvisation - Piano, Lesson 8: Hooks
5. Please identify this portion of the conducting pattern.
Conducting, Lesson 3: Basic Conducting Patterns
Flick of the wrist
6. The singer should relax all _______ surrounding the larynx.
Vocal Technique, Lesson 5: Phonation - Vocal Production
7. The intellect alone is enough to create music that is "special."
Inspirational Improvisation - Piano, Lesson 9: Feeling
8. The singer should _______ the listeners.
Vocal Technique, Lesson 9: Communicate the Message
collect fees from
make eye contact with
9. The term "dynamics" refers to _____ in music
Music Theory, Lesson 8: Dynamics and Accents
10. Consonants should be thought of as having the same _______ as the vowels.
Vocal Technique, Lesson 8: Articulation and Phrasing
11. How many sixteenth notes fit in the same time as a quarter note?
Sight Singing, Lesson 1: Discover the Pulse
12. Identify the name of the major key.
Music Theory, Lesson 6: Key Signatures
13. The 7th note should most often be added to the outer edges of the chord.
Inspirational Improvisation - Piano, Lesson 2: Adding 7ths
14. Performers will _____ the tension or relaxation of the director.
Conducting, Lesson 8: Other Body Language
Consciously make a note of
Make fun of
Unconsciously empathize with
Be totally unaware of
15. The following image is an example of a _____.
Sight Singing, Lesson 2: Quarter, Half and Whole Notes
16. The precise moment of the performer's first beat is indicated by conducting the _____.
Conducting, Lesson 4: Beginning, Holding and Ending
17. Which of the following means "fast and bright?"
Music Theory, Lesson 7: Tempo Markings
18. The pitch of a note can be raised a half step by the addition of a _____.
Sight Singing, Lesson 8: Reading Accidentals
19. Joshua mistook the sound of _____ (associated with idol worship), with the noise of war.
Bible Music Philosophy, Lesson 3: A History of Music in the Bible
20. In the key of Eb, the bass note of the #I7 chord would be ____.
Inspirational Improvisation - Piano, Lesson 6: Step Progressions
21. The following pattern is an example of _____.
Conducting, Lesson 5: Expressive Gestures
22. Right hand arpeggios are easier to play when ____.
Inspirational Improvisation - Piano, Lesson 7: Technical Treatments
The thumb starts on a black note
The thumb is not used
The third of the chord is left out
The fifth of the chord is left out
The thumb starts on a white note
23. Most Old Testament musicians who performed in the temple were simply volunteers.
Bible Music Philosophy, Lesson 5: Music in the Church
24. The set of 5 horizontal lines used to notate music is called a _____.
Music Theory, Lesson 2: Staff Notation
25. Which of these would be a common grouping of beats within a 5 beat pattern?
Conducting, Lesson 6: Advanced Conducting Patterns
26. Generally, in a song service, songs should _____.
Conducting, Lesson 9: Congregational Song Leading
Have the same time signature
Be repeated every week
Be chosen at random
Move from faster tempos to more thoughtful
All be fast
Have the same key signature
27. Identify the movement of the following pitches in the major key of C.
Sight Singing, Lesson 7: Other Intervals
Movement to the 7th note of the scale
Stepwise within the scale
Skipping within the tonic triad
Skipping within the supertonic triad
28. Being able to perform different tasks with separate hands simultaneously is called _____.
Conducting, Lesson 7: The Left Hand
29. Our singing should be _______ to the lost.
Vocal Technique, Lesson 1: A Reason to Sing
30. _____ means placing an accent on an off-beat.
Sight Singing, Lesson 4: Advanced Rhythm
Dotting a note
31. Intervals that are an octave or smaller are called _____ intervals.
Music Theory, Lesson 5: Intervals
32. Name the piano note.
Music Theory, Lesson 4: Piano Notes
33. The _____ of a song speaks to our will and our spirit
Bible Music Philosophy, Lesson 2: Music Speaks
34. The student should read the following rhythm as _____.
Sight Singing, Lesson 3: Eighths, Sixteenths and Triplets
35. The "inner smile" is really only helpful when singing _______.
Vocal Technique, Lesson 6: Resonance
in head voice
in the whistle register
36. The conductor's hand should NOT be held primarily _____.
Conducting, Lesson 1: Introduction to Conducting
With curved fingers
With a flexible wrist
Thumb and index finger together
With relaxed fingers
37. Adding any one of the available color notes to a chord will always make it sound good.
Inspirational Improvisation - Piano, Lesson 4: Adding Color Notes
38. Most songs can be harmonized using what 3 chords?
Inspirational Improvisation - Piano, Lesson 1: Understanding Foundational Chords and Function
I, iii, IV
I, ii, iii
I, IV, V
ii, iii, vi
IV, V, vii (dim)
V, vi, vii (dim)
39. One way to experience diaphragmatic breathing is to lay on _______.
Vocal Technique, Lesson 3: Breathe from the Diaphragm
a bunch of pillows
a hammock and breathe deeply
the grass and take a nap
your side on the bed
your back on the floor
your stomach on a couch
40. A saved person is taught spiritual truth by ____.
Bible Music Philosophy, Lesson 1: Take Me to Your Leader
The Holy Spirit
41. Name the note.
Music Theory, Lesson 3: Note Names
42. The following notes in the major key of C move by _____.
Sight Singing, Lesson 6: Pitch Movement
Moving stepwise within the scale
Staying on the same pitch
Skipping around within the tonic triad
43. The cesura indicates that the performer is to _____.
Music Theory, Lesson 9: Accidentals and Phrasing
Raise the pitch
Hold the syllable through two or more pitches
Lower the pitch
44. According to 1 Chronicles 25:7, there were _____ musicians who were "instructed in the songs of the Lord."
Bible Music Philosophy, Lesson 9: Moving Forward
45. We should strive for balance between the practical and the _____.
Bible Music Philosophy, Lesson 7: Musical Balance
46. Sound is created by the _______ of the vocal folds.
Vocal Technique, Lesson 4: The Vocal Mechanism
47. When substituting chords, try to make the new progression move by ____ or steps.
Inspirational Improvisation - Piano, Lesson 3: Minor Chord Substitutions
48. Psalm 119:54 says, "Thy statutes have been my _____."
Bible Music Philosophy, Lesson 6: The Power of Music
49. Causing "offense" to a weaker brother means to cause him to _____.
Bible Music Philosophy, Lesson 8: Developing Discernment
50. The chest should be lightly _______.
Vocal Technique, Lesson 2: Supportive Posture
All content on this site copyright © 2016 by Asaph Music Co.