"Equipping Local Church Musicians for the Work of the Ministry"
1. "The mix" refers to blending _______.
Vocal Technique, Lesson 7: Vocal Registers
speaking into singing
all vocal registers together
head resonance down into chest voice
chest voice resonance into upper notes
vocal fry into chest voice
head voice resonance into super head voice
2. Tapping your foot while conducting _____.
Conducting, Lesson 8: Other Body Language
Weakens your communication
Lets the performers know you have rhythm
Helps you keep time better
Helps energize your conducting
Makes your leg tired
Keeps the performers on the beat
3. Adding a 2nd to a 7th chord is called adding a ____.
Inspirational Improvisation - Piano, Lesson 4: Adding Color Notes
4. Name the note
Music Theory, Lesson 1: Notes and Rests
Double whole note
5. The staccato mark means _____.
Music Theory, Lesson 8: Dynamics and Accents
Gradually get louder
Gradually get softer
Short and detached
Give the note it's full time value
6. Resonance occurs in the open spaces and _______ surrounding the vocal mechanism.
Vocal Technique, Lesson 6: Resonance
7. The pattern of whole steps and half steps in a major scale is as follows.
Music Theory, Lesson 4: Piano Notes
1, 1/2, 1, 1, 1/2, 1, 1
1, 1, 1, 1/2, 1, 1, 1/2
1, 1, 1/2, 1, 1, 1, 1/2
1, 1/2, 1, 1, 1, 1/2, 1
1/2, 1, 1, 1, 1/2, 1, 1
1, 1, 1/2, 1, 1, 1/2, 1
8. Music apart from the words can be judged for it's moral content.
Bible Music Philosophy, Lesson 2: Music Speaks
9. A time signature of 4/2 means _____.
Conducting, Lesson 2: Finding the Pulse
Eight beats per measure
Two beats per measure
Four half notes per measure
Two quarter notes per measure
Two whole notes per measure
Four quarter notes per measure
10. The term "meno" means _____.
Music Theory, Lesson 7: Tempo Markings
11. When reading the chord notation "Bb/D", you should play ____.
Inspirational Improvisation - Piano, Lesson 6: Step Progressions
D Chord in the right hand, Bb note in the bass
Bb chord in the right hand, D note in the bass
D note in the right hand, Bb chord with the left
Bb chord in the left, D chord in the right
Bb chord in the right, D chord in the left
Bb note in the right hand, D chord with the left
12. The 7th note should most often be used as an inner voice of the chord.
Inspirational Improvisation - Piano, Lesson 2: Adding 7ths
13. According to the book of Job, who "sang together" at creation?
Bible Music Philosophy, Lesson 3: A History of Music in the Bible
The morning stars
Trees of the field
14. In 4/4 time, what kind of note receives 2 beats?
Sight Singing, Lesson 2: Quarter, Half and Whole Notes
15. The best way to avoid nervousness is to _______.
Vocal Technique, Lesson 9: Communicate the Message
breathe deeply while singing
drink plenty of water during the day
focus on Christ and the message of the song
check yourself in the mirror before singing
memorize the music beforehand
make eye contact only with your friends
16. Name the following note.
Sight Singing, Lesson 3: Eighths, Sixteenths and Triplets
17. The bass clef is really a stylized _____.
Music Theory, Lesson 2: Staff Notation
18. The singer should stand with his weight _______.
Vocal Technique, Lesson 2: Supportive Posture
forward on balls of feet
on the inside of his feet
back on his heels
on the sides of his feet
mostly on one foot
19. What interval is a half step smaller than a minor interval?
Music Theory, Lesson 5: Intervals
20. Name the note.
Music Theory, Lesson 3: Note Names
21. The conductor should direct primarily with _____.
Conducting, Lesson 1: Introduction to Conducting
The right hand
The left hand
An open hand
22. Identify the name of the major key.
Music Theory, Lesson 6: Key Signatures
23. It is obvious from Scripture that Old Testament musicians never practiced.
Bible Music Philosophy, Lesson 9: Moving Forward
24. Singing is a Bible ________.
Vocal Technique, Lesson 1: A Reason to Sing
25. Psalm 22:3 states that God inhabits the _____ of His people.
Bible Music Philosophy, Lesson 6: The Power of Music
26. A hook should be used multiple times in the same song.
Inspirational Improvisation - Piano, Lesson 8: Hooks
27. The tonic note is the _____ note of the scale.
Sight Singing, Lesson 5: Pitches and Scales
28. The singer should maintain a feeling of _______ when singing.
Vocal Technique, Lesson 5: Phonation - Vocal Production
rigid chest muscles
open, suspended breath
29. The _______ is attached to the base of the ribs.
Vocal Technique, Lesson 3: Breathe from the Diaphragm
30. A quick, choppy ictus indicates a _____ note.
Conducting, Lesson 5: Expressive Gestures
31. The preparatory beat sets the correct _____ for the piece.
Conducting, Lesson 4: Beginning, Holding and Ending
Tempo and dynamics
Lead-in and cut-off
Posture and stance
Pattern and scope
Warmup and attack
Pitch and timbre
32. How many times should the song number be announced?
Conducting, Lesson 9: Congregational Song Leading
33. A flat sign means to _____.
Music Theory, Lesson 9: Accidentals and Phrasing
Lower the pitch a half step
Carry the note over
Raise the pitch a half step
Cancel previous accidentals
34. Always use contrast in your song arrangements, even if it does not necessarily fit the song.
Inspirational Improvisation - Piano, Lesson 7: Technical Treatments
35. Analyze the following chord progression.
Inspirational Improvisation - Piano, Lesson 3: Minor Chord Substitutions
I - IV - I - V - V
IV - vii (dim) - IV - I - I
I - ii - V - V7 - I
iii - IV - iii - V - ii
ii - iii - ii - vi - I
I - V - I - IV - IV
36. Consonants should be thought of as having _______ preceding or following vowels.
Vocal Technique, Lesson 8: Articulation and Phrasing
no pitch despite
different pitch than
more word color than
different energy levels than
the same pitch as
the same tension as
37. We learn what God wants us to do from _____.
Bible Music Philosophy, Lesson 1: Take Me to Your Leader
the news channel
a hymn book
38. The main purpose of mastering left hand cues is to _____.
Conducting, Lesson 7: The Left Hand
Exercise both arms simultaneously
Build confidence in the performers
Rehearse without talking as much
Keep your eyes off the music
Provide a visual aid to the audience
39. The regular, repeating series of beats in a song is called a _____.
Sight Singing, Lesson 1: Discover the Pulse
40. Which of these would be a common grouping of beats within a 5 beat pattern?
Conducting, Lesson 6: Advanced Conducting Patterns
41. The student should sing an _____ vowel sound when lowering the pitch a half step.
Sight Singing, Lesson 8: Reading Accidentals
42. Micro adjustments to note emphasis, tempo, and dynamics help to create a sound that is "special."
Inspirational Improvisation - Piano, Lesson 9: Feeling
43. The most common movements from one chord to another are by ____.
Inspirational Improvisation - Piano, Lesson 1: Understanding Foundational Chords and Function
Third and by fifth
Second and by Ninth
Fifth and by step
Step and by sixth
Seventh and by tenth
Fourth and by sixth
44. Please identify this portion of the conducting pattern diagram.
Conducting, Lesson 3: Basic Conducting Patterns
Flick of the wrist
45. SATB stands for _____.
Sight Singing, Lesson 9: Singing Parts
Stand at the back
Sit after the beginning
Some altos talk back
Second soprano, alto, tenor, bass
Soprano, alto, tenor, baritone
Soprano, alto, tenor, bass
46. Quarter note triplets put three notes in the space of _____ quarter notes.
Sight Singing, Lesson 4: Advanced Rhythm
47. Asaph, Ethan and Heman were all called _____, which means "prophets."
Bible Music Philosophy, Lesson 5: Music in the Church
48. The following is an example of ____ chord voicing.
Inspirational Improvisation - Piano, Lesson 5: Voicing
49. The supertonic triad consists of the notes _____.
Sight Singing, Lesson 7: Other Intervals
2, 4, 6
1, 2, 3
2, 3, 4
1, 3, 5
3, 5, 7
3, 4, 5
50. Which of the following should not be expressed by Christian music?
Bible Music Philosophy, Lesson 4: What Is Christian Music?
All content on this site copyright © 2018 by Asaph Music Co.