"Equipping Local Church Musicians for the Work of the Ministry"
1. Who sang at creation?
Vocal Technique, Lesson 1: A Reason to Sing
God the Father
The "morning stars"
The land and seas
2. Identify the red portion of the following note.
Music Theory, Lesson 1: Notes and Rests
3. The _____ indicates the rhythmic value of each measure.
Music Theory, Lesson 2: Staff Notation
4. The student should sing an _____ vowel sound when lowering the pitch a half step.
Sight Singing, Lesson 8: Reading Accidentals
5. The conductor causes the performers to breathe together by the _____.
Conducting, Lesson 1: Introduction to Conducting
6. What is the scale number of the following note in a major key?
Sight Singing, Lesson 5: Pitches and Scales
7. The 7th note should most often be used as an inner voice of the chord.
Inspirational Improvisation - Piano, Lesson 2: Adding 7ths
8. The student should read the following rhythm as _____.
Sight Singing, Lesson 3: Eighths, Sixteenths and Triplets
9. Notes below 1 should be numbered 7, 6, 5, etc.
Sight Singing, Lesson 6: Pitch Movement
10. SATB stands for _____.
Sight Singing, Lesson 9: Singing Parts
Soprano, alto, tenor, bass
Soprano, alto, tenor, baritone
Second soprano, alto, tenor, bass
Stand at the back
Sit after the beginning
Some altos talk back
11. In 4/4 time, the whole note receives how many beats?
Sight Singing, Lesson 2: Quarter, Half and Whole Notes
12. _____ sang a song of praise to God while in prison.
Bible Music Philosophy, Lesson 3: A History of Music in the Bible
Peter and Matthew
Luke and Mark
Barnabas and Phillip
Judas and Demas
Jesus and John
Paul and Silas
13. Matched vowel sounds create a _______.
Vocal Technique, Lesson 8: Articulation and Phrasing
full sounding solo
nice word color
good choral sound
14. The following pattern is an example of _____.
Conducting, Lesson 5: Expressive Gestures
15. The pianist should never attempt to use his/her creativity to come up with something new.
Inspirational Improvisation - Piano, Lesson 8: Hooks
16. The _______ is/are not involved in vocal resonance
Vocal Technique, Lesson 6: Resonance
upper skeletal structure
17. Performers will _____ the tension or relaxation of the director.
Conducting, Lesson 8: Other Body Language
Consciously make a note of
Be totally unaware of
Make fun of
Unconsciously empathize with
18. Most Old Testament musicians who performed in the temple were simply volunteers.
Bible Music Philosophy, Lesson 5: Music in the Church
19. The following rhythm should be read as _____.
Sight Singing, Lesson 4: Advanced Rhythm
20. Which of the following means "at a walking pace?"
Music Theory, Lesson 7: Tempo Markings
21. A carry-over mark looks like _____.
Music Theory, Lesson 9: Accidentals and Phrasing
Two slash marks
A dotted rainbow
A downward curving line
22. Identify the movement of the following pitches in the major key of C.
Sight Singing, Lesson 7: Other Intervals
Skipping within the supertonic triad
Movement to the 7th note of the scale
Skipping within the tonic triad
Stepwise within the scale
23. This conducting pattern is used to direct a song with how many beats?
Conducting, Lesson 3: Basic Conducting Patterns
24. Focus on Christ and the message of the song to avoid _______.
Vocal Technique, Lesson 9: Communicate the Message
locking your knees
losing your mind
25. To indicate the performer is to be soft, the composer will use the letter(s) _____.
Music Theory, Lesson 8: Dynamics and Accents
26. Hold your left hand palm up, and slowly raise it to indicate a/an _____.
Conducting, Lesson 7: The Left Hand
27. Most songs can be harmonized using the I, IV, and V chords.
Inspirational Improvisation - Piano, Lesson 1: Understanding Foundational Chords and Function
28. Identify the following chord.
Inspirational Improvisation - Piano, Lesson 3: Minor Chord Substitutions
29. What is the order of flats in a key signature?
Music Theory, Lesson 6: Key Signatures
30. Always strive for the most complete contrasts (from one extreme to the other) in your song arrangements.
Inspirational Improvisation - Piano, Lesson 7: Technical Treatments
31. Name the note.
Music Theory, Lesson 3: Note Names
32. Correct breathing causes the _______ to visibly expand on inhalation.
Vocal Technique, Lesson 3: Breathe from the Diaphragm
33. The possible color notes for a minor 7th chord are ____.
Inspirational Improvisation - Piano, Lesson 4: Adding Color Notes
#5th, #7th, 8th
9th, 11th, 13th
9th, 10th, 11th
2nd, 3rd, 4th
9th, b9th, #9th, #11th, 13th, b13th
9th, #11th, 13th
34. The singer should use just enough air to _______.
Vocal Technique, Lesson 5: Phonation - Vocal Production
create tension in the throat
create a "pressure cooker"
put the sound in the nose
vibrate the vocal folds
tickle the roof of the mouth
produce a tremolo
35. Identify the number of steps between the two notes.
Music Theory, Lesson 4: Piano Notes
36. We are to serve God from a heart of _____.
Bible Music Philosophy, Lesson 1: Take Me to Your Leader
37. At the dedication of Solomon's temple, there were _____ trumpet players.
Bible Music Philosophy, Lesson 6: The Power of Music
38. We should strive for balance between the _____ and the transcendental.
Bible Music Philosophy, Lesson 7: Musical Balance
39. The chest voice has a range of about _______.
Vocal Technique, Lesson 7: Vocal Registers
two and a half octaves
an octave and a half
a half octave
40. The music of a song, apart from the words, communicates it's own message.
Bible Music Philosophy, Lesson 2: Music Speaks
41. The bottom number in a time signature indicates _____.
Conducting, Lesson 2: Finding the Pulse
The number of measures in the song
The number of noteheads per measure
The number of beats per measure
The speed of the music
The type of conducting pattern to use
The type of note used as the basis of rhythm
42. The _____ beat patterns can be used in slow, compound meter songs.
Conducting, Lesson 6: Advanced Conducting Patterns
4, 9, 12
6, 9, 12
4, 5, 6
1, 2, 3
2, 3, 4
5, 7, 9
43. The definition of a _____ is a "song of praise to God."
Bible Music Philosophy, Lesson 4: What Is Christian Music?
44. A lead sheet is printed music containing only ____.
Inspirational Improvisation - Piano, Lesson 6: Step Progressions
A hymn arrangement
Melody line and chords
45. To indicate a fermata or held note, hold _____.
Conducting, Lesson 4: Beginning, Holding and Ending
The wrist loosely
The elbow motionless
The palm upward
The fingers sideways
The palm downward
The forearm parallel to the wall
46. What interval is a half step smaller than a minor interval?
Music Theory, Lesson 5: Intervals
47. The shoulders should be _______.
Vocal Technique, Lesson 2: Supportive Posture
allowed to rise and fall when singing
held with one higher than the other
held firmly back and down
held with one in front of the other
48. Identify the following note.
Sight Singing, Lesson 1: Discover the Pulse
49. The human voice is created within the _______.
Vocal Technique, Lesson 4: The Vocal Mechanism
50. It is not necessary to play the piano every day to be a good pianist.
Inspirational Improvisation - Piano, Lesson 9: Feeling
All content on this site copyright © 2015 by Asaph Music Co.