"Equipping Local Church Musicians for the Work of the Ministry"
1. The term that refers to the notes that naturally occur in any given key (no accidentals) is ____.
Inspirational Improvisation - Piano, Lesson 2: Adding 7ths
2. Name the note.
Music Theory, Lesson 3: Note Names
3. Please identify this portion of the conducting pattern.
Conducting, Lesson 3: Basic Conducting Patterns
Flick of the wrist
4. When arranging a hymn, you could easily replace most of the traditional church harmonies with chords that move by step.
Inspirational Improvisation - Piano, Lesson 6: Step Progressions
5. Which of the following means "fast and bright?"
Music Theory, Lesson 7: Tempo Markings
6. This conducting pattern is used to direct a song with how many beats?
Conducting, Lesson 6: Advanced Conducting Patterns
7. The conductor should _____ like a singer.
Conducting, Lesson 1: Introduction to Conducting
8. 9th, 11th, and 13th notes are possible color notes for a ____ chord.
Inspirational Improvisation - Piano, Lesson 4: Adding Color Notes
Half Diminished 7th
9. Consonants should be thought of as having the same _______ as the vowels.
Vocal Technique, Lesson 8: Articulation and Phrasing
10. In music notation, _____ means "strongly accented."
Music Theory, Lesson 8: Dynamics and Accents
11. Identify the interval.
Music Theory, Lesson 5: Intervals
12. How many piano keys are found on a normal size piano?
Music Theory, Lesson 4: Piano Notes
13. A good warm-up for singing is _______.
Vocal Technique, Lesson 5: Phonation - Vocal Production
light, open humming
practicing a tremolo
reading out loud
singing scales on very high notes
pushing against the wall
14. The singer's knees should be _______.
Vocal Technique, Lesson 2: Supportive Posture
straight and locked
about one foot apart
touching one another
pointing straight ahead
15. Our singing should _______ worldly influences.
Vocal Technique, Lesson 1: A Reason to Sing
be influenced by
be separated from
16. The key to singing in head voice is to _______.
Vocal Technique, Lesson 7: Vocal Registers
develop a nice falsetto
push harder from the diaphragm
stretch the neck
keep the larynx low and relaxed
make the chest voice lighter
raise the chin
17. In 4/4 time, the following note receives _____ beat(s).
Sight Singing, Lesson 3: Eighths, Sixteenths and Triplets
18. Most Bible musicians were un-educated in the area of music.
Bible Music Philosophy, Lesson 5: Music in the Church
19. How many lines are on a staff?
Music Theory, Lesson 2: Staff Notation
20. The term "resonance" refers to _______ of the sound.
Vocal Technique, Lesson 6: Resonance
21. Which of the following is not a purpose of Christian music?
Bible Music Philosophy, Lesson 4: What Is Christian Music?
22. If a key signature has 4 sharps, which notes are sharped?
Music Theory, Lesson 6: Key Signatures
23. Focus on Christ and the message of the song to avoid _______.
Vocal Technique, Lesson 9: Communicate the Message
losing your mind
locking your knees
24. A natural sign in front of a note _____.
Sight Singing, Lesson 8: Reading Accidentals
Raises the pitch a half step
Makes the note faster
Lowers the pitch a half step
Makes the note louder
Cancels out previous sharps and flats
25. What is the scale number of the following note in a major key?
Sight Singing, Lesson 5: Pitches and Scales
26. A _____ adds 1/2 the original note's time value.
Music Theory, Lesson 1: Notes and Rests
27. Identify the following note.
Sight Singing, Lesson 1: Discover the Pulse
28. In 4/4 time, the half note receives how many beats?
Sight Singing, Lesson 2: Quarter, Half and Whole Notes
29. Conducting is an ongoing dialogue between the _____ and the _____.
Conducting, Lesson 8: Other Body Language
Audience, other audience members
Performers, other performers
30. A worthwhile goal in music is to try to achieve a ____ sound.
Inspirational Improvisation - Piano, Lesson 9: Feeling
31. The following pattern is an example of _____.
Conducting, Lesson 5: Expressive Gestures
32. Basses are ______.
Sight Singing, Lesson 9: Singing Parts
Men who sing the highest notes
Men who sing the lowest notes
Men who sing the mid-range notes
Ladies who sing the lowest note
Ladies who sing the highest notes
Ladies who sing the mid-range notes
33. Which of the following Bible characters is not mentioned as being musical?
Bible Music Philosophy, Lesson 3: A History of Music in the Bible
34. A time signature of 4/2 means _____.
Conducting, Lesson 2: Finding the Pulse
Eight beats per measure
Two quarter notes per measure
Four quarter notes per measure
Two beats per measure
Two whole notes per measure
Four half notes per measure
35. Identify the following symbol.
Music Theory, Lesson 9: Accidentals and Phrasing
36. Identify the movement of the following pitches in the major key of C.
Sight Singing, Lesson 7: Other Intervals
Skipping within the tonic triad
Stepwise within the scale
Skipping within the supertonic triad
Movement to the 7th note of the scale
37. We are to _____ that which is worldly and unholy.
Bible Music Philosophy, Lesson 1: Take Me to Your Leader
38. Congregational song leaders should keep accurate records of _____.
Conducting, Lesson 9: Congregational Song Leading
Sermon topics used
Key signatures used
Time signatures used
Songs used and dates used
39. The purpose of a cut-off is to ____ the sound.
Conducting, Lesson 4: Beginning, Holding and Ending
40. The musical style does not need to be appropriate for the audience.
Bible Music Philosophy, Lesson 7: Musical Balance
41. Identify the curved line in the following figure.
Sight Singing, Lesson 4: Advanced Rhythm
42. Analyze the following chord progression.
Inspirational Improvisation - Piano, Lesson 3: Minor Chord Substitutions
I - IV - V
I - V7 - I
ii - V - I
IV - V7 - I
iii - ii - I
I - ii - iii
43. The music of a song, apart from the words, communicates it's own message.
Bible Music Philosophy, Lesson 2: Music Speaks
44. A hook must contain the identical rhythmic pattern as the song you are playing.
Inspirational Improvisation - Piano, Lesson 8: Hooks
45. Suspensions are a particularly effective way to create ____.
Inspirational Improvisation - Piano, Lesson 7: Technical Treatments
Inner voice movement
Low register melodies
Right hand arpeggios
Left hand arpeggios
46. Causing "offense" to a weaker brother means to cause him to _____.
Bible Music Philosophy, Lesson 8: Developing Discernment
47. Which of these would NOT be a good situation in which to mirror the right hand with the left hand?
Conducting, Lesson 7: The Left Hand
Conducting physically separated groups
To indicate emphasis
Conducting a very large group
To indicate you want a larger sound
Conducting a choir and an orchestra simultaneously
Directing a small ensemble
48. The diaphragm is a/an _______.
Vocal Technique, Lesson 3: Breathe from the Diaphragm
49. All sound is a result of _______.
Vocal Technique, Lesson 4: The Vocal Mechanism
the Bernoulli principle
50. The phrase "the cattle upon a thousand hills" in Psalm 50 was penned by ______.
Bible Music Philosophy, Lesson 9: Moving Forward
All content on this site copyright © 2016 by Asaph Music Co.