"Equipping Local Church Musicians for the Work of the Ministry"
1. Good breathing technique creates a larger range of _______ and _______.
Vocal Technique, Lesson 3: Breathe from the Diaphragm
volume, phrase duration
resonance, head voice
2. The V7 chord has a strong "pull" toward resolving into a I chord because it contains a ____.
Inspirational Improvisation - Piano, Lesson 3: Minor Chord Substitutions
3. Adding a 4th to a 7th chord is called adding a ____.
Inspirational Improvisation - Piano, Lesson 4: Adding Color Notes
4. Jesus sang with His disciples at the _____.
Bible Music Philosophy, Lesson 3: A History of Music in the Bible
Garden of Gethsemane
House of Mary
5. The _____ denotes the scale used in a song by listing the flats or sharps.
Music Theory, Lesson 2: Staff Notation
6. Please identify this portion of the conducting pattern.
Conducting, Lesson 3: Basic Conducting Patterns
Flick of the wrist
7. "Dancing" in the Bible refers to _____.
Bible Music Philosophy, Lesson 5: Music in the Church
Movement to music
Ballroom type dances
8. The conductor's _____ can be used effectively to present entrance cues.
Conducting, Lesson 8: Other Body Language
9. The words to a song do communicate a message.
Bible Music Philosophy, Lesson 2: Music Speaks
10. The most common movements from one chord to another are by ____.
Inspirational Improvisation - Piano, Lesson 1: Understanding Foundational Chords and Function
Seventh and by tenth
Step and by sixth
Third and by fifth
Fifth and by step
Fourth and by sixth
Second and by Ninth
11. The singer must realize his instrument includes his entire _______.
Vocal Technique, Lesson 2: Supportive Posture
vocal cord structure
12. Identify the number of steps between the two notes.
Music Theory, Lesson 4: Piano Notes
13. The conductor should stand like a/an _____.
Conducting, Lesson 1: Introduction to Conducting
14. Phonation and _______ should be combined for effective singing.
Vocal Technique, Lesson 5: Phonation - Vocal Production
the "pressure cooker" effect
15. Most traditional church music harmony moves in thirds.
Inspirational Improvisation - Piano, Lesson 6: Step Progressions
16. Being able to perform different tasks with separate hands simultaneously is called _____.
Conducting, Lesson 7: The Left Hand
17. Marcato means to perform _____.
Music Theory, Lesson 9: Accidentals and Phrasing
While marching in tempo
With great enthusiasm
Like a rainbow
Smooth and connected
Accented and slightly disconnected
Without breathing in this section
18. In 4/4 time, what kind of note receives 1 beat?
Sight Singing, Lesson 2: Quarter, Half and Whole Notes
19. When a hook is used at the beginning of a song, the last chord of the hook needs to lead into the song.
Inspirational Improvisation - Piano, Lesson 8: Hooks
20. "Whistle register" and "flageolet register" are other terms for _______.
Vocal Technique, Lesson 7: Vocal Registers
super head voice
21. A time signature of 3/8 indicates ____ meter.
Conducting, Lesson 2: Finding the Pulse
22. The staccato mark means _____.
Music Theory, Lesson 8: Dynamics and Accents
Short and detached
Gradually get louder
Give the note it's full time value
Gradually get softer
23. How many sixteenth notes fit in the same time as a quarter note?
Sight Singing, Lesson 1: Discover the Pulse
24. Identify the red portion of the following note.
Music Theory, Lesson 1: Notes and Rests
25. Sound is created by the _______ of the vocal folds.
Vocal Technique, Lesson 4: The Vocal Mechanism
26. Identify the movement of the following pitches in the major key of C.
Sight Singing, Lesson 7: Other Intervals
Skipping within the tonic triad
Movement to the 7th note of the scale
Skipping within the supertonic triad
Stepwise within the scale
27. The congregational song leader should _____.
Conducting, Lesson 9: Congregational Song Leading
Berate the congregation for singing badly
Sing loudly through each verse
Expect everyone to always sing unison
Encourage the congregation
Never conduct with his hands
Never vary the songs
28. Doubling can be effective when used in ____.
Inspirational Improvisation - Piano, Lesson 7: Technical Treatments
Inner voice movement
Low register melodies
Right hand arpeggios
Left hand arpeggios
29. Showing more force on a particular beat indicates a/an _____.
Conducting, Lesson 5: Expressive Gestures
30. The intellect alone is enough to create music that is "special."
Inspirational Improvisation - Piano, Lesson 9: Feeling
31. _____ means placing an accent on an off-beat.
Sight Singing, Lesson 4: Advanced Rhythm
Dotting a note
32. An inverted perfect fifth is a/an _____.
Music Theory, Lesson 5: Intervals
33. A natural sign in front of a note _____.
Sight Singing, Lesson 8: Reading Accidentals
Cancels out previous sharps and flats
Makes the note louder
Raises the pitch a half step
Makes the note faster
Lowers the pitch a half step
34. Name the following note.
Sight Singing, Lesson 3: Eighths, Sixteenths and Triplets
35. The 6, 9 and 12 beat patterns can be used in _____ songs with compound meter.
Conducting, Lesson 6: Advanced Conducting Patterns
36. God Himself wrote a song for His people and gave it to ______.
Bible Music Philosophy, Lesson 6: The Power of Music
37. The following notes in the major key of C move by _____.
Sight Singing, Lesson 6: Pitch Movement
Staying on the same pitch
Moving stepwise within the scale
Skipping around within the tonic triad
38. The _______ is/are not involved in vocal resonance
Vocal Technique, Lesson 6: Resonance
upper skeletal structure
39. Rubato means _____.
Music Theory, Lesson 7: Tempo Markings
Return to original tempo
The free adjustment of tempo for expressive purpos
Little by little
40. Identify the name of the major key.
Music Theory, Lesson 6: Key Signatures
41. What is the largest group of musicians mentioned in the Old Testament?
Vocal Technique, Lesson 1: A Reason to Sing
42. Name the note.
Music Theory, Lesson 3: Note Names
43. A "spiritual song" is characterized by _____.
Bible Music Philosophy, Lesson 8: Developing Discernment
Praise for God's virtues
The words of Scripture
44. Christian music is to be directed to _____.
Bible Music Philosophy, Lesson 4: What Is Christian Music?
45. The musical style should be appropriate for the audience.
Bible Music Philosophy, Lesson 7: Musical Balance
46. What is the scale number of the following note in a major key?
Sight Singing, Lesson 5: Pitches and Scales
47. It is obvious from Scripture that Old Testament musicians never practiced.
Bible Music Philosophy, Lesson 9: Moving Forward
48. A saved person is taught spiritual truth by ____.
Bible Music Philosophy, Lesson 1: Take Me to Your Leader
The Holy Spirit
49. The melody note in the following example is number ____ in the chord.
Inspirational Improvisation - Piano, Lesson 5: Voicing
50. When adding the 7th note, the chords that will naturally become Minor 7th chords are ____.
Inspirational Improvisation - Piano, Lesson 2: Adding 7ths
I, IV, V
ii, iii, vi
I, iii, vii
All content on this site copyright © 2015 by Asaph Music Co.