"Equipping Local Church Musicians for the Work of the Ministry"
1. The bass clef is really a stylized _____.
Music Theory, Lesson 2: Staff Notation
2. A sharp sign in front of a note means the note is to sound _____.
Sight Singing, Lesson 8: Reading Accidentals
As it would normally within the key signature
A half step lower
A half step higher
3. Identify the name of the major key.
Music Theory, Lesson 6: Key Signatures
4. Identify the movement of the following pitches in the major key of C.
Sight Singing, Lesson 7: Other Intervals
Movement to the 7th note of the scale
Skipping within the supertonic triad
Stepwise within the scale
Skipping within the tonic triad
5. The singer must remove anything that would distract from the _______.
Vocal Technique, Lesson 9: Communicate the Message
lifestyle of the performer
respect for the singer
good feelings communicated by the song
performance of the melody
message of the song
memorization of the material
6. The possible color notes for a major 7th chord are ____.
Inspirational Improvisation - Piano, Lesson 4: Adding Color Notes
#5th, #7th, 8th
9th, 10th, 11th
9th, #11th, 13th
9th, b9th, #9th, #11th, 13th, b13th
2nd, 3rd, 4th
9th, 11th, 13th
7. A happy song will be characterized by _____ movement.
Bible Music Philosophy, Lesson 2: Music Speaks
8. Picture your throat as a _______, not a _______.
Vocal Technique, Lesson 3: Breathe from the Diaphragm
9. The most commonly used conducting patterns are _____.
Conducting, Lesson 2: Finding the Pulse
3, 4, 6
2, 3, 4
4, 6, 9
6, 9, 12
3, 4, 5
1, 2, 3
10. How much air should the singer use?
Vocal Technique, Lesson 5: Phonation - Vocal Production
enough to put the sound in the nose
as much as the diaphragm can produce
more than enough to vibrate the vocal folds
enough to create vocal tension
just enough to vibrate the vocal folds
11. Subdividing the main beat into two parts gives us _____.
Sight Singing, Lesson 3: Eighths, Sixteenths and Triplets
12. Ladies who sing the mid-range notes are called _____.
Sight Singing, Lesson 9: Singing Parts
Second sopranos, or mezzo sopranos
13. The preferred voicing for any 7th or color chord is ____ voicing.
Inspirational Improvisation - Piano, Lesson 5: Voicing
14. Identify the following accent mark.
Music Theory, Lesson 8: Dynamics and Accents
15. The key to singing in head voice is to _______.
Vocal Technique, Lesson 7: Vocal Registers
keep the larynx low and relaxed
raise the chin
make the chest voice lighter
stretch the neck
push harder from the diaphragm
develop a nice falsetto
16. When a hook is used at the beginning of a song, the last chord of the hook needs to lead into the song.
Inspirational Improvisation - Piano, Lesson 8: Hooks
17. Identify the interval.
Music Theory, Lesson 5: Intervals
18. Please identify this portion of the conducting pattern diagram.
Conducting, Lesson 3: Basic Conducting Patterns
Flick of the wrist
19. Which of the following means "moderately fast?"
Music Theory, Lesson 7: Tempo Markings
20. Any dominant chord can be substituted by the dominant that is a ____ away.
Inspirational Improvisation - Piano, Lesson 6: Step Progressions
21. In 4/4 time, the whole note receives how many beats?
Sight Singing, Lesson 2: Quarter, Half and Whole Notes
22. Congregational song leaders should keep accurate records of _____.
Conducting, Lesson 9: Congregational Song Leading
Songs used and dates used
Time signatures used
Key signatures used
Sermon topics used
23. We sing to ______ from our _______.
Vocal Technique, Lesson 1: A Reason to Sing
the mind, talent
the congregation, abilities
the lost, will
24. The following pattern is an example of _____.
Conducting, Lesson 5: Expressive Gestures
25. Name the following special notes.
Music Theory, Lesson 1: Notes and Rests
Eighth note triplets
Quarter note triplets
26. The "tritone" is an interval determined by ____.
Inspirational Improvisation - Piano, Lesson 3: Minor Chord Substitutions
3 whole steps
3 minor thirds
A diminished third
3 major thirds
3 half steps
An augmented third
27. Asaph was skilled in writing _____.
Bible Music Philosophy, Lesson 9: Moving Forward
28. Christian music should agree with the teaching of _____.
Bible Music Philosophy, Lesson 4: What Is Christian Music?
Classical music theory
29. _____ sang a song of praise to God while in prison.
Bible Music Philosophy, Lesson 3: A History of Music in the Bible
Judas and Demas
Paul and Silas
Jesus and John
Peter and Matthew
Luke and Mark
Barnabas and Phillip
30. A psalm is a song containing _____.
Bible Music Philosophy, Lesson 8: Developing Discernment
The words of Scripture
31. Name the note.
Music Theory, Lesson 3: Note Names
32. The sinuses, nasal passages and skull primarily amplify the notes sung in _______.
Vocal Technique, Lesson 6: Resonance
33. The breath mark looks like a/an _____.
Music Theory, Lesson 9: Accidentals and Phrasing
34. A saved person has made _____ his master.
Bible Music Philosophy, Lesson 1: Take Me to Your Leader
35. The conductor should direct primarily with _____.
Conducting, Lesson 1: Introduction to Conducting
The right hand
An open hand
The left hand
36. ____ are an especially effective way to achieve inner voice movement.
Inspirational Improvisation - Piano, Lesson 7: Technical Treatments
The little finger
Time signature changes
37. The singer's instrument is _______.
Vocal Technique, Lesson 2: Supportive Posture
his head to his chest
his vocal cords
his voice and resonators
38. The most common movements from one chord to another are by ____.
Inspirational Improvisation - Piano, Lesson 1: Understanding Foundational Chords and Function
Seventh and by tenth
Second and by Ninth
Fifth and by step
Fourth and by sixth
Step and by sixth
Third and by fifth
39. The 6, 9 and 12 beat patterns can be used in _____ songs with compound meter.
Conducting, Lesson 6: Advanced Conducting Patterns
40. Identify the following note.
Sight Singing, Lesson 1: Discover the Pulse
41. In 2 Chronicles 5, the musicians wore _____.
Bible Music Philosophy, Lesson 5: Music in the Church
The garments of the high priest
Suits and ties
Coats of many colors
42. The trachea is protected by _______.
Vocal Technique, Lesson 4: The Vocal Mechanism
"V" shaped ligaments
43. Music notation is inadequate to describe the full range of musical expression possible within a piece of music.
Inspirational Improvisation - Piano, Lesson 9: Feeling
44. The following notes in the major key of C move by _____.
Sight Singing, Lesson 6: Pitch Movement
Skipping around within the tonic triad
Moving stepwise within the scale
Staying on the same pitch
45. The jaw should be _________ as much as possible.
Vocal Technique, Lesson 8: Articulation and Phrasing
involved in articulation
made to work
removed from action
46. The Minor 7th in a chord can be identified as the note ____.
Inspirational Improvisation - Piano, Lesson 2: Adding 7ths
A fifth below the root
A step higher than the root
A half step lower than the root
A fifth above the root
Two half steps higher than the root
Two half steps lower than the root
47. The trumpet is used to indicate the _____ ,
Bible Music Philosophy, Lesson 6: The Power of Music
End of a trial
Fall of angels
Presence of joy
Moving of God
Fruit of the Spirit
48. The following rhythm should be read as _____.
Sight Singing, Lesson 4: Advanced Rhythm
49. The preparatory beat should cause all performers to _____.
Conducting, Lesson 4: Beginning, Holding and Ending
Stop the sound simultaneously
Hold a note out
Tap their feet in unison
Retain energy in the sound
Count out loud
50. Which type of music tends to be more rythmic in nature?
Bible Music Philosophy, Lesson 7: Musical Balance
All content on this site copyright © 2016 by Asaph Music Co.