"Equipping Local Church Musicians for the Work of the Ministry"
1. Identify the movement of the following pitches in the major key of C.
Sight Singing, Lesson 7: Other Intervals
Movement to the 7th note of the scale
Skipping within the tonic triad
Stepwise within the scale
Skipping within the supertonic triad
2. On exhalation, the diaphragm should _______.
Vocal Technique, Lesson 3: Breathe from the Diaphragm
create tension against the stomach muscles
expand the stomach area
cause the chest to cave in
push the air out
3. To conduct the ____, you must determine what beat the song begins on.
Conducting, Lesson 4: Beginning, Holding and Ending
4. What is the order of flats in a key signature?
Music Theory, Lesson 6: Key Signatures
5. Which of the following can NOT be accomplished by turning your ear towards a section?
Conducting, Lesson 8: Other Body Language
Remind about a problem section
Encourage greater diligence
Indicate a problem needs to be fixed
Communicate that you are listening
Increasing the tempo of the music
Encourage greater accuracy
6. In the key of C, the following pitch should be sung _____.
Sight Singing, Lesson 8: Reading Accidentals
7. Connecting a treble clef staff and a bass clef staff together creates a _____.
Music Theory, Lesson 2: Staff Notation
Double bar line
8. How many piano keys are found on a normal size piano?
Music Theory, Lesson 4: Piano Notes
9. The earliest recorded music in the earth's history was when _______.
Vocal Technique, Lesson 1: A Reason to Sing
Jubal invented musical instruments
Asaph wrote a psalm
Adam sang to Eve
the 144,000 sang around the throne
Eve sang to Adam
the "morning stars" sang together
10. The V7 chord has a strong "pull" toward resolving into a I chord because it contains a ____.
Inspirational Improvisation - Piano, Lesson 3: Minor Chord Substitutions
11. Being able to perform different tasks with separate hands simultaneously is called _____.
Conducting, Lesson 7: The Left Hand
12. Accent syllables that would be naturally accented when _______.
Vocal Technique, Lesson 8: Articulation and Phrasing
13. Ladies who sing the mid-range notes are called _____.
Sight Singing, Lesson 9: Singing Parts
Second sopranos, or mezzo sopranos
14. To indicate the performer is to be soft, the composer will use the letter(s) _____.
Music Theory, Lesson 8: Dynamics and Accents
15. "Right hand thumb drop" refers to using the right thumb to play ____.
Inspirational Improvisation - Piano, Lesson 2: Adding 7ths
The doubled root
The note delicately, with feeling
The 7th instead of the root
The melody in octaves
16. It is not necessary to play the piano every day to be a good pianist.
Inspirational Improvisation - Piano, Lesson 9: Feeling
17. Please identify this portion of the conducting pattern diagram.
Conducting, Lesson 3: Basic Conducting Patterns
Flick of the wrist
18. The vocal folds should _______ as you sing higher.
Vocal Technique, Lesson 7: Vocal Registers
19. "Voice box" is another term for the _______.
Vocal Technique, Lesson 4: The Vocal Mechanism
20. The conductor's hand should be held primarily _____.
Conducting, Lesson 1: Introduction to Conducting
Thumb and pinky together
Fingers spread open
21. The open spaces behind the forehead, nose and cheekbones are called _______.
Vocal Technique, Lesson 6: Resonance
22. The melody note in the following example is number ____ in the chord.
Inspirational Improvisation - Piano, Lesson 5: Voicing
23. It is important that we write fresh new songs of praise for our generation.
Bible Music Philosophy, Lesson 9: Moving Forward
24. The VI chord is the secondary dominant of the ____ chord.
Inspirational Improvisation - Piano, Lesson 1: Understanding Foundational Chords and Function
25. Name the note.
Music Theory, Lesson 1: Notes and Rests
Double whole note
26. Accelerando means to _____.
Music Theory, Lesson 7: Tempo Markings
Freely adjust the tempo
Perform very broadly
27. Scales should always start and end on the first note of the scale.
Inspirational Improvisation - Piano, Lesson 7: Technical Treatments
28. Dead gestures may be used by a choral conductor during _____.
Conducting, Lesson 5: Expressive Gestures
29. We must remove anything that ________ the message of the song.
Vocal Technique, Lesson 9: Communicate the Message
30. How many numbers make up a time signature?
Conducting, Lesson 2: Finding the Pulse
31. To mimic _____, music will move slowly.
Bible Music Philosophy, Lesson 2: Music Speaks
32. Christian music should agree with the teaching of _____.
Bible Music Philosophy, Lesson 4: What Is Christian Music?
Classical music theory
33. According to Paul, Christian musicians are to be filled with _____ and _____.
Bible Music Philosophy, Lesson 8: Developing Discernment
The Bible, the Holy Spirit
34. Name the note.
Music Theory, Lesson 3: Note Names
35. The notes in the following song _____.
Sight Singing, Lesson 6: Pitch Movement
Skip around within the tonic triad
Stay the same
Combine three different note movements
Are numbered 2, 4, 6, 4
Are upside down
36. Name the following note.
Sight Singing, Lesson 3: Eighths, Sixteenths and Triplets
37. Marcato means to perform _____.
Music Theory, Lesson 9: Accidentals and Phrasing
Smooth and connected
Accented and slightly disconnected
Like a rainbow
While marching in tempo
With great enthusiasm
Without breathing in this section
38. Identify the following note.
Sight Singing, Lesson 1: Discover the Pulse
39. How many beats does a dotted quarter note get?
Sight Singing, Lesson 4: Advanced Rhythm
40. In 2 Chronicles 5, the musicians wore _____.
Bible Music Philosophy, Lesson 5: Music in the Church
Coats of many colors
The garments of the high priest
Suits and ties
41. Generally, in a song service, songs should _____.
Conducting, Lesson 9: Congregational Song Leading
Have the same time signature
Move from faster tempos to more thoughtful
Have the same key signature
Be repeated every week
Be chosen at random
All be fast
42. Phonation should be combined with _______.
Vocal Technique, Lesson 5: Phonation - Vocal Production
vocal fold vibration
plenty of water
43. A good rule of thumb is to use one of your little fingers to play the color notes.
Inspirational Improvisation - Piano, Lesson 4: Adding Color Notes
44. What is the scale number of the following note in a major key?
Sight Singing, Lesson 5: Pitches and Scales
45. Identify the interval.
Music Theory, Lesson 5: Intervals
46. Joshua mistook the sound of _____ (associated with idol worship), with the noise of war.
Bible Music Philosophy, Lesson 3: A History of Music in the Bible
47. The chest should be lightly _______.
Vocal Technique, Lesson 2: Supportive Posture
48. Double bar lines indicate the _____.
Sight Singing, Lesson 2: Quarter, Half and Whole Notes
End of a song
Beginning of a song
Middle of a song
First and second endings
49. Which of the following is NOT one of the purposes of a hook?
Inspirational Improvisation - Piano, Lesson 8: Hooks
Bridge a change in style
Better congregational accompaniment
Interlude between verses
Incorporating a pattern throughout the song
50. Which type of music utilizes a wider range of musical expression?
Bible Music Philosophy, Lesson 7: Musical Balance
All content on this site copyright © 2015 by Asaph Music Co.