"Equipping Local Church Musicians for the Work of the Ministry"
1. We are ________ to sing in the Bible.
Vocal Technique, Lesson 1: A Reason to Sing
2. The following picture represents a _____.
Music Theory, Lesson 1: Notes and Rests
3. Which type of music is more likely to be self-accompanied?
Bible Music Philosophy, Lesson 7: Musical Balance
4. The best way to avoid nervousness is to _______.
Vocal Technique, Lesson 9: Communicate the Message
breathe deeply while singing
check yourself in the mirror before singing
memorize the music beforehand
focus on Christ and the message of the song
make eye contact only with your friends
drink plenty of water during the day
5. The singer can practice breathing from the diaphragm by laying on his _______ on the floor.
Vocal Technique, Lesson 3: Breathe from the Diaphragm
hands and knees
6. Which of the following is not a Bible author who wrote, "The Lord is my song?"
Bible Music Philosophy, Lesson 6: The Power of Music
7. The following notes in the major key of C move by _____.
Sight Singing, Lesson 6: Pitch Movement
Skipping around within the tonic triad
Staying on the same pitch
Moving stepwise within the scale
8. What is the scale number of the following note in a major key?
Sight Singing, Lesson 5: Pitches and Scales
9. The intellect alone is enough to create music that is "special."
Inspirational Improvisation - Piano, Lesson 9: Feeling
10. When creating a hook, it is best to come up with the melody, chords and rhythm simultaneously.
Inspirational Improvisation - Piano, Lesson 8: Hooks
11. In 4/4 time, the following rest indicates the performer is to be silent for how many beats?
Sight Singing, Lesson 2: Quarter, Half and Whole Notes
12. Identify the movement of the following pitches in the major key of C.
Sight Singing, Lesson 7: Other Intervals
Skipping within the supertonic triad
Movement to the 7th note of the scale
Stepwise within the scale
Skipping within the tonic triad
13. When adding a natural 7th note, the I and IV chords become ____ chords.
Inspirational Improvisation - Piano, Lesson 2: Adding 7ths
Half Diminished 7th
14. Consonants should be thought of as having _______ preceding or following vowels.
Vocal Technique, Lesson 8: Articulation and Phrasing
more word color than
different energy levels than
no pitch despite
different pitch than
the same tension as
the same pitch as
15. The church music education program should focus first on encouraging singing in the _____.
Bible Music Philosophy, Lesson 5: Music in the Church
16. We must trust _____ as the final authority of right and wrong.
Bible Music Philosophy, Lesson 8: Developing Discernment
17. A three note chord consisting of notes a third apart is called a ____.
Inspirational Improvisation - Piano, Lesson 1: Understanding Foundational Chords and Function
18. The regular, repeating series of beats in a song is called a _____.
Sight Singing, Lesson 1: Discover the Pulse
19. Tabrets and pipes were a part of _____ body.
Bible Music Philosophy, Lesson 3: A History of Music in the Bible
20. Name the piano note.
Music Theory, Lesson 4: Piano Notes
21. Previous accidentals can be canceled out by the addition of a _____.
Sight Singing, Lesson 8: Reading Accidentals
22. You are singing in chest voice when singing _______.
Vocal Technique, Lesson 7: Vocal Registers
above the bridges
a "rattly" sound
23. The Italian word that means to "gradually get louder" is _____
Music Theory, Lesson 8: Dynamics and Accents
24. A time signature of 2/2 indicates _____ meter.
Conducting, Lesson 2: Finding the Pulse
25. The larynx and upper thorax primarily resonate the _______.
Vocal Technique, Lesson 6: Resonance
mixed voice notes
full range of notes
26. A happy song will be characterized by _____ movement.
Bible Music Philosophy, Lesson 2: Music Speaks
27. Name the note.
Music Theory, Lesson 3: Note Names
28. A _____ indicates a syllable is to be held through two or more pitches.
Music Theory, Lesson 9: Accidentals and Phrasing
29. The breathing apparatus should be free to provide _______ and tonal support
Vocal Technique, Lesson 2: Supportive Posture
30. While waiting through an instrumental interlude, a choral conductor may wish to use _____ gestures.
Conducting, Lesson 5: Expressive Gestures
31. This conducting pattern is used to direct a song with how many beats?
Conducting, Lesson 6: Advanced Conducting Patterns
32. We are to serve God from a heart of _____.
Bible Music Philosophy, Lesson 1: Take Me to Your Leader
33. Hold your hand outstreched with the palm upward to indicate _____.
Conducting, Lesson 4: Beginning, Holding and Ending
A loud dynamic
The correct tempo
A new section
A fermata or held out note
34. The muscles that control the vocal folds are mostly _______.
Vocal Technique, Lesson 5: Phonation - Vocal Production
controlled by conscious effort
35. Which of the following means "extremely fast?"
Music Theory, Lesson 7: Tempo Markings
36. In the chord progression ii-#I7-I, the #I7 is a substitute for a ____ chord.
Inspirational Improvisation - Piano, Lesson 6: Step Progressions
vii (dim) 7
37. The "tritone" is an interval determined by ____.
Inspirational Improvisation - Piano, Lesson 3: Minor Chord Substitutions
3 major thirds
An augmented third
A diminished third
3 whole steps
3 half steps
3 minor thirds
38. Always strive for the most complete contrasts (from one extreme to the other) in your song arrangements.
Inspirational Improvisation - Piano, Lesson 7: Technical Treatments
39. In the following figure, the highlighted note would be sung by the _____.
Sight Singing, Lesson 9: Singing Parts
40. Identify the interval.
Music Theory, Lesson 5: Intervals
41. Humility is not an act of your will.
Bible Music Philosophy, Lesson 4: What Is Christian Music?
42. The conductor should direct primarily with _____.
Conducting, Lesson 1: Introduction to Conducting
An open hand
The right hand
The left hand
43. When leading congregational songs, allow the singers to _____ between phrases and verses.
Conducting, Lesson 9: Congregational Song Leading
44. Please identify this portion of the conducting pattern diagram.
Conducting, Lesson 3: Basic Conducting Patterns
Flick of the wrist
45. The Italian word that means 'stop here' is _____.
Music Theory, Lesson 2: Staff Notation
46. Which of these would NOT be a good situation in which to mirror the right hand with the left hand?
Conducting, Lesson 7: The Left Hand
To indicate you want a larger sound
Directing a small ensemble
Conducting a choir and an orchestra simultaneously
Conducting a very large group
Conducting physically separated groups
To indicate emphasis
47. Identify the name of the major key.
Music Theory, Lesson 6: Key Signatures
48. The most commonly used color note is the ____.
Inspirational Improvisation - Piano, Lesson 4: Adding Color Notes
49. Spreading out the notes in a chord over larger intervals is called ____ voicing.
Inspirational Improvisation - Piano, Lesson 5: Voicing
50. The student should read the following notes as _____.
Sight Singing, Lesson 4: Advanced Rhythm
All content on this site copyright © 2017 by Asaph Music Co.