"Equipping Local Church Musicians for the Work of the Ministry"
1. The singer's _______ should be relaxed at the hinge.
Vocal Technique, Lesson 2: Supportive Posture
2. A hook must contain the identical rhythmic pattern as the song you are playing.
Inspirational Improvisation - Piano, Lesson 8: Hooks
3. The key to singing in head voice is to _______.
Vocal Technique, Lesson 7: Vocal Registers
make the chest voice lighter
keep the larynx low and relaxed
develop a nice falsetto
push harder from the diaphragm
stretch the neck
raise the chin
4. Vowels that move from one sound to another are called _______.
Vocal Technique, Lesson 8: Articulation and Phrasing
5. We learn what God wants us to do from _____.
Bible Music Philosophy, Lesson 1: Take Me to Your Leader
the news channel
a hymn book
6. Which of these is NOT a purpose of conducting?
Conducting, Lesson 1: Introduction to Conducting
Distract the audience from mistakes
Provide musical direction
Ensure variety and vitality
Interpret inherent expression
Unify the presentation
7. It is important that we write fresh new songs of praise for our generation.
Bible Music Philosophy, Lesson 9: Moving Forward
8. Psalm 119:54 says, "Thy statutes have been my _____."
Bible Music Philosophy, Lesson 6: The Power of Music
9. In music notation, "sfz" means _____.
Music Theory, Lesson 8: Dynamics and Accents
Hold the note longer
Separate and distinct
10. A Secondary Dominant chord most often progresses to the chord a ____ below it.
Inspirational Improvisation - Piano, Lesson 1: Understanding Foundational Chords and Function
11. When holding out notes with the left hand, the right hand should _____.
Conducting, Lesson 7: The Left Hand
Drop to the conductor's side
Indicate the next preparatory beat
Mirror the left hand
Continue the beat pattern
Hold up the left hand
12. Identify the number of steps between the two notes.
Music Theory, Lesson 4: Piano Notes
13. The preparatory beat should cause all performers to _____.
Conducting, Lesson 4: Beginning, Holding and Ending
Hold a note out
Retain energy in the sound
Tap their feet in unison
Stop the sound simultaneously
Count out loud
14. Name the note.
Music Theory, Lesson 3: Note Names
15. The best warm-up for singing is _______.
Vocal Technique, Lesson 5: Phonation - Vocal Production
arpeggiated lip trills
soft, breathy scales
mimicking opera singers
16. Music, apart from the words, has no moral content.
Bible Music Philosophy, Lesson 2: Music Speaks
17. Which type of music is more likely to appeal to the flesh?
Bible Music Philosophy, Lesson 7: Musical Balance
18. How many eighth notes fit in the same time as a whole note?
Sight Singing, Lesson 1: Discover the Pulse
19. The Bernoulli principle states that moving air creates a _______.
Vocal Technique, Lesson 4: The Vocal Mechanism
increase in pressure
decrease in pressure
high pressure zone
20. "Voicing" refers to the position of the notes in a chord on the keyboard.
Inspirational Improvisation - Piano, Lesson 5: Voicing
21. Which of these is not involved in resonance?
Vocal Technique, Lesson 6: Resonance
22. The following pattern is an example of _____.
Conducting, Lesson 5: Expressive Gestures
23. Christian music is to be directed to _____.
Bible Music Philosophy, Lesson 4: What Is Christian Music?
24. A time signature of 6/8 means there are _____ per measure.
Conducting, Lesson 2: Finding the Pulse
Six eighth notes
Six out of eight beats
Eight sixth notes
3/4 of a beat
25. Adding the natural 7th to a ____ chord creates a half diminished chord.
Inspirational Improvisation - Piano, Lesson 2: Adding 7ths
26. Which of the following does NOT help build church unity?
Conducting, Lesson 9: Congregational Song Leading
Stopping the song together
Memorizing the song
Singing vigorously together
Starting the song together
27. Our music should _____ the saved and be a ______ to the lost.
Vocal Technique, Lesson 1: A Reason to Sing
28. Name the following rest.
Sight Singing, Lesson 2: Quarter, Half and Whole Notes
29. Which two musical instruments were created as part of Lucifer's body?
Bible Music Philosophy, Lesson 3: A History of Music in the Bible
30. In the key of F, the bass note of a #I7 chord would be ____.
Inspirational Improvisation - Piano, Lesson 6: Step Progressions
31. When removing wrong types of music from your life, you must _____.
Bible Music Philosophy, Lesson 8: Developing Discernment
Turn down the volume
Not listen to anything
Avoid all music
Listen to music you hate
Replace the bad with good music
Gradually wean yourself off the bad music
32. The student should read the following notes as _____.
Sight Singing, Lesson 4: Advanced Rhythm
33. In the key of C, the following pitch should be sung _____.
Sight Singing, Lesson 8: Reading Accidentals
34. Conducting is an ongoing dialogue between the _____ and the _____.
Conducting, Lesson 8: Other Body Language
Audience, other audience members
Performers, other performers
35. A good rule of thumb is to use one of your thumbs to play the color notes.
Inspirational Improvisation - Piano, Lesson 4: Adding Color Notes
36. A tritone is found in the ____ chord.
Inspirational Improvisation - Piano, Lesson 3: Minor Chord Substitutions
37. Identify the movement of the following pitches in the major key of C.
Sight Singing, Lesson 7: Other Intervals
Stepwise within the scale
Movement to the 7th note of the scale
Skipping within the tonic triad
Skipping within the supertonic triad
38. Identify the name of the major key.
Music Theory, Lesson 6: Key Signatures
39. A measure is _____.
Music Theory, Lesson 2: Staff Notation
A repeated section
The space between two bar lines
Really a fancy G
Two connected staves
The scale on which the music is based
A vertical line
40. Good pianists should never listen to recordings of other pianists.
Inspirational Improvisation - Piano, Lesson 9: Feeling
41. Which of the following means "lively and fast?"
Music Theory, Lesson 7: Tempo Markings
42. Which of these would be a common grouping of beats within a 5 beat pattern?
Conducting, Lesson 6: Advanced Conducting Patterns
43. Identify the portion of the note colored red.
Music Theory, Lesson 1: Notes and Rests
44. Notes above number 8 should be numbered 2, 3, 4, etc.
Sight Singing, Lesson 6: Pitch Movement
45. Suspensions are a particularly effective way to create ____.
Inspirational Improvisation - Piano, Lesson 7: Technical Treatments
Left hand arpeggios
Low register melodies
Inner voice movement
Right hand arpeggios
46. Men who sing the lowest notes are called _____.
Sight Singing, Lesson 9: Singing Parts
Second sopranos/mezzo sopranos
47. The student should read the following rhythm as _____.
Sight Singing, Lesson 3: Eighths, Sixteenths and Triplets
48. The diaphragm is a/an _______.
Vocal Technique, Lesson 3: Breathe from the Diaphragm
49. Think of your song as a _______, not as a _______.
Vocal Technique, Lesson 9: Communicate the Message
50. Identify the interval.
Music Theory, Lesson 5: Intervals
All content on this site copyright © 2015 by Asaph Music Co.