"Equipping Local Church Musicians for the Work of the Ministry"
1. The diaphragm is shaped like a _______.
Vocal Technique, Lesson 3: Breathe from the Diaphragm
2. This conducting pattern is used to direct a song with how many beats?
Conducting, Lesson 6: Advanced Conducting Patterns
3. Saul "was made well" by the harp playing of David. This was a _____ affect.
Bible Music Philosophy, Lesson 6: The Power of Music
4. The flap that closes when swallowing is called the _______.
Vocal Technique, Lesson 4: The Vocal Mechanism
5. The student should read the following figure as _____.
Sight Singing, Lesson 4: Advanced Rhythm
6. Mezzo forte means _____.
Music Theory, Lesson 8: Dynamics and Accents
Very, very soft
Very, very loud
7. The singer's _______ should be relaxed at the hinge.
Vocal Technique, Lesson 2: Supportive Posture
8. The term for an interval encompassing 3 whole steps is ____.
Inspirational Improvisation - Piano, Lesson 3: Minor Chord Substitutions
9. Accelerando means to _____.
Music Theory, Lesson 7: Tempo Markings
Freely adjust the tempo
Perform very broadly
10. Singers should strive to equalize the ________.
Vocal Technique, Lesson 8: Articulation and Phrasing
11. The following picture denotes a _____.
Music Theory, Lesson 2: Staff Notation
12. The way a particular chord interacts with the chords surrounding it is called it's ____.
Inspirational Improvisation - Piano, Lesson 1: Understanding Foundational Chords and Function
13. A time signature of 6/8 means there are _____ per measure.
Conducting, Lesson 2: Finding the Pulse
Six eighth notes
3/4 of a beat
Six out of eight beats
Eight sixth notes
14. The student should sing an _____ vowel sound when raising the pitch a half step.
Sight Singing, Lesson 8: Reading Accidentals
15. To mimic sadness, music will move _____.
Bible Music Philosophy, Lesson 2: Music Speaks
16. Name the following rest.
Sight Singing, Lesson 2: Quarter, Half and Whole Notes
17. Identify the interval.
Music Theory, Lesson 5: Intervals
18. It is not necessary to play the piano every day to be a good pianist.
Inspirational Improvisation - Piano, Lesson 9: Feeling
19. The singer must remove anything that would distract from the _______.
Vocal Technique, Lesson 9: Communicate the Message
respect for the singer
memorization of the material
performance of the melody
good feelings communicated by the song
message of the song
lifestyle of the performer
20. Which of the following skills is not necessary in learning to sight read a new song?
Sight Singing, Lesson 5: Pitches and Scales
Produce high and low notes
Determine the tonic note
Sing a major scale
Match the pitch
Read the key signature
21. The following pattern is an example of _____.
Conducting, Lesson 5: Expressive Gestures
22. In 4/4 time, the sixteenth note receives _____ beat(s).
Sight Singing, Lesson 3: Eighths, Sixteenths and Triplets
23. The chest voice has a range of about _______.
Vocal Technique, Lesson 7: Vocal Registers
an octave and a half
two and a half octaves
a half octave
24. Bringing the thumb and index finger together while bouncing the hand indicates a _____.
Conducting, Lesson 4: Beginning, Holding and Ending
25. A good warm-up for singing is _______.
Vocal Technique, Lesson 5: Phonation - Vocal Production
practicing a tremolo
pushing against the wall
light, open humming
reading out loud
singing scales on very high notes
26. A _____ combines the time values of two notes across a bar line.
Music Theory, Lesson 1: Notes and Rests
27. Name the note.
Music Theory, Lesson 3: Note Names
28. The ictus indicates _____.
Conducting, Lesson 1: Introduction to Conducting
The instant of cut-off
One beat before the performers begin
The upward bounce following the beat
The precise instant of the rhythmic pulse
The lead-in to the next beat
29. The _______ is/are not involved in vocal resonance
Vocal Technique, Lesson 6: Resonance
upper skeletal structure
30. Our singing should be clearly separated from _______ influences.
Vocal Technique, Lesson 1: A Reason to Sing
31. There are no musical instruments ever mentioned in the New Testament.
Bible Music Philosophy, Lesson 3: A History of Music in the Bible
32. Ladies who sing the highest notes are called _____.
Sight Singing, Lesson 9: Singing Parts
33. Which type of music tends to be more entertainment oriented?
Bible Music Philosophy, Lesson 7: Musical Balance
34. Which of these is NOT a way to encourage your performers?
Conducting, Lesson 8: Other Body Language
Scratch your head
Nod to them when they do something good
Mouth the words
Make eye contact
Smile at them
Notice when they get a difficult part right
35. When creating technical patterns in your song arrangement, use the "pool" of notes within the ____.
Inspirational Improvisation - Piano, Lesson 7: Technical Treatments
Circle of fifths
Chord and key
7th chords only
36. The term that refers to the notes that naturally occur in any given key (no accidentals) is ____.
Inspirational Improvisation - Piano, Lesson 2: Adding 7ths
37. Doubling should mostly be avoided, except when doubling the ____ note.
Inspirational Improvisation - Piano, Lesson 5: Voicing
38. Identify the following mark.
Music Theory, Lesson 9: Accidentals and Phrasing
39. When conducting with the left hand mirroring the right hand, up and down motions are _____, and right and left motions are _____.
Conducting, Lesson 7: The Left Hand
The same, the same
Inverted, the same
Opposite, the same
The same, opposite
40. This conducting pattern is used to direct a song with how many beats?
Conducting, Lesson 3: Basic Conducting Patterns
41. The notes in the following song _____.
Sight Singing, Lesson 6: Pitch Movement
Are in the wrong key
Combine three different movement types
Skip around within the tonic triad
Stay the same
42. Christian music should be mainly characterized by it's _____.
Bible Music Philosophy, Lesson 4: What Is Christian Music?
43. A hook should be used multiple times in the same song.
Inspirational Improvisation - Piano, Lesson 8: Hooks
44. Name the piano note.
Music Theory, Lesson 4: Piano Notes
45. What is the order of sharps in a key signature?
Music Theory, Lesson 6: Key Signatures
46. The 7th note of the scale is called the _____ tone.
Sight Singing, Lesson 7: Other Intervals
47. Playing a IV chord in the right hand while playing the V note in the left is the same as a ____.
Inspirational Improvisation - Piano, Lesson 4: Adding Color Notes
Secret leading tone
48. In the chord progression ii-#I7-I, the #I7 is a substitute for a ____ chord.
Inspirational Improvisation - Piano, Lesson 6: Step Progressions
vii (dim) 7
49. Which of these words were not used to describe Old Testament musicians?
Bible Music Philosophy, Lesson 9: Moving Forward
50. We are only able to serve _____ master(s).
Bible Music Philosophy, Lesson 1: Take Me to Your Leader
All content on this site copyright © 2017 by Asaph Music Co.