"Equipping Local Church Musicians for the Work of the Ministry"
1. The "inner smile" is really only helpful when singing _______.
Vocal Technique, Lesson 6: Resonance
in the whistle register
in head voice
2. The singer's head shoud be _______.
Vocal Technique, Lesson 2: Supportive Posture
held to one side
held with chin lifted
neither forward nor back
held with chin down
3. Which of the following should not characterize the relationship of the music to the text?
Bible Music Philosophy, Lesson 2: Music Speaks
4. The preparatory beat sets the correct _____ for the piece.
Conducting, Lesson 4: Beginning, Holding and Ending
Pattern and scope
Pitch and timbre
Tempo and dynamics
Lead-in and cut-off
Warmup and attack
Posture and stance
5. Joshua mistook the sound of singing (associated with idol worship), with the noise of _____.
Bible Music Philosophy, Lesson 3: A History of Music in the Bible
6. Before going to _____, Jesus sang with his disciples.
Vocal Technique, Lesson 1: A Reason to Sing
the Sea of Galilee
7. The set of 5 horizontal lines used to notate music is called a _____.
Music Theory, Lesson 2: Staff Notation
8. A curved line that connects two notes across a bar line is called a _____.
Sight Singing, Lesson 4: Advanced Rhythm
9. How many half steps make up a minor third?
Inspirational Improvisation - Piano, Lesson 1: Understanding Foundational Chords and Function
10. Rallantando means _____.
Music Theory, Lesson 7: Tempo Markings
Free adjustment of tempo
11. It is obvious from Scripture that Old Testament musicians never practiced.
Bible Music Philosophy, Lesson 9: Moving Forward
12. In the following figure, the highlighted note would be sung by the _____.
Sight Singing, Lesson 9: Singing Parts
13. Picture your throat as a _______, not a _______.
Vocal Technique, Lesson 3: Breathe from the Diaphragm
14. The letter "f" is used to idicate that the performer is to _____.
Music Theory, Lesson 8: Dynamics and Accents
Accent the note
15. Saul "was made well" by the harp playing of David. This was a _____ affect.
Bible Music Philosophy, Lesson 6: The Power of Music
16. Another word for the musical pulse is ______.
Conducting, Lesson 1: Introduction to Conducting
17. Which of the following is not a part of a music note?
Music Theory, Lesson 1: Notes and Rests
18. Jeduthan is another name for _____.
Bible Music Philosophy, Lesson 5: Music in the Church
19. While waiting through an instrumental interlude, a choral conductor may wish to use _____ gestures.
Conducting, Lesson 5: Expressive Gestures
20. Previous accidentals can be canceled out by the addition of a _____.
Sight Singing, Lesson 8: Reading Accidentals
21. The ______ is/are shaped like the letter "V."
Vocal Technique, Lesson 4: The Vocal Mechanism
22. Identify the interval.
Music Theory, Lesson 5: Intervals
23. Subdividing the main beat into two parts gives us _____.
Sight Singing, Lesson 3: Eighths, Sixteenths and Triplets
24. _______ means the muscles controlling the vocal folds are not usually controlled directly through concious thought.
Vocal Technique, Lesson 5: Phonation - Vocal Production
25. The "tritone" is an interval determined by ____.
Inspirational Improvisation - Piano, Lesson 3: Minor Chord Substitutions
A diminished third
3 half steps
An augmented third
3 major thirds
3 minor thirds
3 whole steps
26. Simple meter means the main beat is subdivided into _____ parts.
Conducting, Lesson 2: Finding the Pulse
27. The term for performing smooth and connected is _____.
Music Theory, Lesson 9: Accidentals and Phrasing
28. If a key signature has 4 sharps, which notes are sharped?
Music Theory, Lesson 6: Key Signatures
29. In 4/4 time, the following note receives 2 beats.
Sight Singing, Lesson 2: Quarter, Half and Whole Notes
30. The type of note used (whole note, quarter note, etc.) indicates it's _____.
Sight Singing, Lesson 1: Discover the Pulse
Relative volume level
Relative pitch value
Absolute volume level
Absolute pitch value
Absolute time value
Relative time value
31. Always strive for the most complete contrasts (from one extreme to the other) in your song arrangements.
Inspirational Improvisation - Piano, Lesson 7: Technical Treatments
32. Falsetto singing sounds _______.
Vocal Technique, Lesson 7: Vocal Registers
33. The person who claims to serve no one is a slave to _____.
Bible Music Philosophy, Lesson 1: Take Me to Your Leader
His own passions
34. Which of these is NOT a good use of the left hand?
Conducting, Lesson 7: The Left Hand
Indicate separate cut-offs
Move it in the same direction as the right hand
Mirror the right hand
Cue for movement within parts
Help carry a note over
35. Identify the movement of the following pitches in the major key of C.
Sight Singing, Lesson 7: Other Intervals
Stepwise within the scale
Skipping within the supertonic triad
Skipping within the tonic triad
Movement to the 7th note of the scale
36. The conductor can emphasize certain beats by _____.
Conducting, Lesson 8: Other Body Language
Twisting the head slightly
Nodding on the beat
Tilting the head slightly
Bringing the head back slightly
Raising the shoulders slightly
Bobbing the head with the beat
37. The Bible teaches that for a Christian to obtain wisdom, he should _____.
Bible Music Philosophy, Lesson 8: Developing Discernment
Pray for it
Meditate a lot
Use his imagination
Read many books
38. A "natural" sound is the same as a completely accurate sound.
Inspirational Improvisation - Piano, Lesson 9: Feeling
39. Identify the number of steps between the two notes.
Music Theory, Lesson 4: Piano Notes
40. A lead sheet is printed music containing only ____.
Inspirational Improvisation - Piano, Lesson 6: Step Progressions
A hymn arrangement
Melody line and chords
41. Diphthongs are sounds that move from one _______ to another.
Vocal Technique, Lesson 8: Articulation and Phrasing
42. Which of the following is NOT one of the purposes of a hook?
Inspirational Improvisation - Piano, Lesson 8: Hooks
Better congregational accompaniment
Bridge a change in style
Incorporating a pattern throughout the song
Interlude between verses
43. Which of the following should not be expressed by Christian music?
Bible Music Philosophy, Lesson 4: What Is Christian Music?
44. Name the note.
Music Theory, Lesson 3: Note Names
45. We should strive for balance between the _____ and the transcendental.
Bible Music Philosophy, Lesson 7: Musical Balance
46. The singer should _______ the listeners.
Vocal Technique, Lesson 9: Communicate the Message
collect fees from
make eye contact with
47. Please identify this portion of the conducting pattern.
Conducting, Lesson 3: Basic Conducting Patterns
Flick of the wrist
48. What is the scale number of the following note in a major key?
Sight Singing, Lesson 5: Pitches and Scales
49. Which of the following does NOT help build church unity?
Conducting, Lesson 9: Congregational Song Leading
Starting the song together
Stopping the song together
Singing vigorously together
Memorizing the song
50. Adding any one of the available color notes to a chord will always make it sound good.
Inspirational Improvisation - Piano, Lesson 4: Adding Color Notes
All content on this site copyright © 2017 by Asaph Music Co.