"Equipping Local Church Musicians for the Work of the Ministry"
1. An eighth note triplet takes up the same amount of time as _____ eighth notes.
Sight Singing, Lesson 3: Eighths, Sixteenths and Triplets
2. When creating a hook, it is best to come up with the melody, chords and rhythm simultaneously.
Inspirational Improvisation - Piano, Lesson 8: Hooks
3. Enharmonic notes are notes that _____.
Music Theory, Lesson 4: Piano Notes
Are exactly a half step apart on the piano
Are spelled differently but sound the same
Are exactly a whole step apart on the piano
Are spelled the same but sound different
Exhibit the Doppler effect
Follow a specific pattern of whole and half steps
4. How many beats does a sixteenth note get?
Music Theory, Lesson 1: Notes and Rests
5. Who does not necessarily need a copy of the service schedule?
Conducting, Lesson 9: Congregational Song Leading
The assistant pastor
6. Asaph, Ethan and Heman were all called _____, which means "prophets."
Bible Music Philosophy, Lesson 5: Music in the Church
7. A time signature of 6/8 means there are _____ per measure.
Conducting, Lesson 2: Finding the Pulse
3/4 of a beat
Eight sixth notes
Six out of eight beats
Six eighth notes
8. A simple way to add rhythmic variety to a song is to change the ____.
Inspirational Improvisation - Piano, Lesson 7: Technical Treatments
9. The diaphragm contracts only on _______.
Vocal Technique, Lesson 3: Breathe from the Diaphragm
10. All of the different vowel sounds should be _______.
Vocal Technique, Lesson 8: Articulation and Phrasing
11. Identify the name of the MINOR key.
Music Theory, Lesson 6: Key Signatures
12. According to Dr. Lee Roberson, "Everything rises or falls on _____."
Conducting, Lesson 1: Introduction to Conducting
13. Which chords are naturally major in any given major key?
Inspirational Improvisation - Piano, Lesson 1: Understanding Foundational Chords and Function
I, IV, V
I, III, V
III, V, VI
II, III, VI
I, V, VII
I, II, III
14. Which of the following means "lively and fast?"
Music Theory, Lesson 7: Tempo Markings
15. The preparatory beat sets the correct _____ for the piece.
Conducting, Lesson 4: Beginning, Holding and Ending
Lead-in and cut-off
Posture and stance
Pitch and timbre
Warmup and attack
Tempo and dynamics
Pattern and scope
16. The shoulders should be _______.
Vocal Technique, Lesson 2: Supportive Posture
held with one higher than the other
held firmly back and down
held with one in front of the other
allowed to rise and fall when singing
17. Which of these is not involved in resonance?
Vocal Technique, Lesson 6: Resonance
18. The rhythm of a song should be _____.
Bible Music Philosophy, Lesson 4: What Is Christian Music?
19. Name the note.
Music Theory, Lesson 3: Note Names
20. Breathy, disconnected singing on high notes is called _______.
Vocal Technique, Lesson 7: Vocal Registers
21. In Italian, 'Fine' means _____.
Music Theory, Lesson 2: Staff Notation
Go to the beginning
Go to the last ending
22. While waiting through an instrumental interlude, a choral conductor may wish to use _____ gestures.
Conducting, Lesson 5: Expressive Gestures
23. The following notes in the major key of C move by _____.
Sight Singing, Lesson 6: Pitch Movement
Skipping around within the tonic triad
Staying on the same pitch
Moving stepwise within the scale
24. Identify the following note.
Sight Singing, Lesson 1: Discover the Pulse
25. Intervals larger than an octave are called _____ intervals.
Music Theory, Lesson 5: Intervals
26. There are no musical instruments ever mentioned in the New Testament.
Bible Music Philosophy, Lesson 3: A History of Music in the Bible
27. People empathize with your experience, not your _______.
Vocal Technique, Lesson 9: Communicate the Message
28. Identify the following mark.
Music Theory, Lesson 9: Accidentals and Phrasing
29. "Voice box" is another term for the _______.
Vocal Technique, Lesson 4: The Vocal Mechanism
30. The ii-V7-I chord progression is a good ____.
Inspirational Improvisation - Piano, Lesson 3: Minor Chord Substitutions
Substitute for a vii (dim) chord
31. What is the scale number of the following note in a major key?
Sight Singing, Lesson 5: Pitches and Scales
32. Music, apart from the words, has no moral content.
Bible Music Philosophy, Lesson 2: Music Speaks
33. In 4/4 time, the whole note receives how many beats?
Sight Singing, Lesson 2: Quarter, Half and Whole Notes
34. Which of these would NOT be a good situation in which to mirror the right hand with the left hand?
Conducting, Lesson 7: The Left Hand
Conducting physically separated groups
To indicate emphasis
To indicate you want a larger sound
Conducting a very large group
Conducting a choir and an orchestra simultaneously
Directing a small ensemble
35. It is not important that we write fresh songs of praise for our generation.
Bible Music Philosophy, Lesson 9: Moving Forward
36. Two pitches that are spelled differently but sound the same are called _____ tones.
Sight Singing, Lesson 8: Reading Accidentals
37. In the following figure, the highlighted note would be sung by the _____.
Sight Singing, Lesson 9: Singing Parts
38. The chord notation for playing an F chord in the right hand with a C in your left hand as your bass note is ____.
Inspirational Improvisation - Piano, Lesson 6: Step Progressions
39. All of our singing should be directed to ______.
Vocal Technique, Lesson 1: A Reason to Sing
40. According to Paul, Christian musicians are to be filled with _____ and _____.
Bible Music Philosophy, Lesson 8: Developing Discernment
The Bible, the Holy Spirit
41. Psalm 119:54 says, "Thy statutes have been my _____."
Bible Music Philosophy, Lesson 6: The Power of Music
42. Good pianists should never listen to recordings of other pianists.
Inspirational Improvisation - Piano, Lesson 9: Feeling
43. This conducting pattern is used to direct a song with how many beats?
Conducting, Lesson 6: Advanced Conducting Patterns
44. We learn what God wants us to do from _____.
Bible Music Philosophy, Lesson 1: Take Me to Your Leader
the news channel
a hymn book
45. The most commonly used color note is the ____.
Inspirational Improvisation - Piano, Lesson 4: Adding Color Notes
46. The conductor can express the _____ of the music by the set of his mouth.
Conducting, Lesson 8: Other Body Language
47. The notes 2, 4 and 6 make up the _____ triad.
Sight Singing, Lesson 7: Other Intervals
48. How many beats does a dotted half note get?
Sight Singing, Lesson 4: Advanced Rhythm
49. Identify the following accent mark.
Music Theory, Lesson 8: Dynamics and Accents
50. Please identify this portion of the conducting pattern diagram.
Conducting, Lesson 3: Basic Conducting Patterns
Flick of the wrist
All content on this site copyright © 2016 by Asaph Music Co.