"Equipping Local Church Musicians for the Work of the Ministry"
1. It is nearly impossible to replace a hymn's traditional church harmonies with chords that move by step.
Inspirational Improvisation - Piano, Lesson 6: Step Progressions
2. How many beats does a quarter note get?
Music Theory, Lesson 1: Notes and Rests
3. Our singing should _______ the saved.
Vocal Technique, Lesson 1: A Reason to Sing
4. The bump on the front of the throat that indicates the position of the larynx is called the _______.
Vocal Technique, Lesson 4: The Vocal Mechanism
5. The term used to describe the position of the notes in a chord on the keyboard is ____.
Inspirational Improvisation - Piano, Lesson 5: Voicing
6. The open area behind the mouth, above the throat, is called the _______.
Vocal Technique, Lesson 6: Resonance
7. A good pianist should always be taking regular piano lessons.
Inspirational Improvisation - Piano, Lesson 9: Feeling
8. Name the following rest.
Sight Singing, Lesson 2: Quarter, Half and Whole Notes
9. This conducting pattern is used to direct a song with how many beats?
Conducting, Lesson 3: Basic Conducting Patterns
10. Name the note.
Music Theory, Lesson 3: Note Names
11. A flat sign in front of a note means the note is to sound _____.
Sight Singing, Lesson 8: Reading Accidentals
As it would normally within the key signatur
A half step higher
A half step lower
12. Identify the number of steps between the two notes.
Music Theory, Lesson 4: Piano Notes
13. A time signature of 3/8 indicates ____ meter.
Conducting, Lesson 2: Finding the Pulse
14. The notes 1, 3 and 5 make up the _____.
Sight Singing, Lesson 6: Pitch Movement
15. Vocal bridges above the first bridge are about a(n) _______ apart.
Vocal Technique, Lesson 7: Vocal Registers
octave and a half
three quarters of an octave
16. When the diaphragm contracts, it creates _______.
Vocal Technique, Lesson 3: Breathe from the Diaphragm
more room for the intestines
pressure on the lungs
17. Mezzo sopranos are _____.
Sight Singing, Lesson 9: Singing Parts
Men who sing the lowest notes
Ladies who sing mid-range notes
Men who sing the mid-range notes
Ladies who sing the highest notes
Men who sing the highest notes
Ladies who sing the lowest notes
18. We must remove anything that ________ the message of the song.
Vocal Technique, Lesson 9: Communicate the Message
19. The conductor causes the performers to breathe together by the _____.
Conducting, Lesson 1: Introduction to Conducting
20. How many sixteenth notes fit in the same time as a quarter note?
Sight Singing, Lesson 1: Discover the Pulse
21. The _____ is the window of the soul.
Conducting, Lesson 8: Other Body Language
22. A minor interval is _____ than a major interval.
Music Theory, Lesson 5: Intervals
A step and a half larger
A half step smaller
A half step larger
A step and a half smaller
A whole step larger
A whole step smaller
23. The singer should stand with _______.
Vocal Technique, Lesson 2: Supportive Posture
heels apart and toes together
one foot slightly ahead of the other
both feet close together
feet widely spaced apart
both feet facing straight forward
feet flat on the floor
24. The letter "p" in music notation means _____.
Music Theory, Lesson 8: Dynamics and Accents
25. The following indicate the _____.
Music Theory, Lesson 2: Staff Notation
End of the song
26. The student should read the following rhythm as _____.
Sight Singing, Lesson 4: Advanced Rhythm
27. The music of a song, apart from the words, communicates it's own message.
Bible Music Philosophy, Lesson 2: Music Speaks
28. Asaph wrote at least _____ psalms.
Bible Music Philosophy, Lesson 9: Moving Forward
29. What is the scale number of the following note in a major key?
Sight Singing, Lesson 5: Pitches and Scales
30. We are only able to serve _____ master(s).
Bible Music Philosophy, Lesson 1: Take Me to Your Leader
31. Psalm 119:54 says, "Thy statutes have been my _____."
Bible Music Philosophy, Lesson 6: The Power of Music
32. The student should read the following figure as _____.
Sight Singing, Lesson 3: Eighths, Sixteenths and Triplets
33. This conducting pattern is used to direct a song with how many beats?
Conducting, Lesson 6: Advanced Conducting Patterns
34. Tabrets and pipes were a part of _____ body.
Bible Music Philosophy, Lesson 3: A History of Music in the Bible
35. When adding a 7th note, the chords that will naturally become Major 7th chords are ____.
Inspirational Improvisation - Piano, Lesson 2: Adding 7ths
I, iii, vii
ii, iii, vi
I, IV, V
36. The following pattern is an example of _____.
Conducting, Lesson 5: Expressive Gestures
37. Adding a 2nd to a 7th chord is called adding a ____.
Inspirational Improvisation - Piano, Lesson 4: Adding Color Notes
38. Which type of music is more likely to be self-accompanied?
Bible Music Philosophy, Lesson 7: Musical Balance
39. A series of chords is called a ____.
Inspirational Improvisation - Piano, Lesson 1: Understanding Foundational Chords and Function
40. Which of the following is a not a type of performance group mentioned in the Bible?
Bible Music Philosophy, Lesson 5: Music in the Church
41. Doubling can be effective when used in ____.
Inspirational Improvisation - Piano, Lesson 7: Technical Treatments
Low register melodies
Left hand arpeggios
Right hand arpeggios
Inner voice movement
42. Which of the following is not a type of Christian music mentioned by the apostle Paul?
Bible Music Philosophy, Lesson 4: What Is Christian Music?
43. Identify the name of the MINOR key.
Music Theory, Lesson 6: Key Signatures
44. The congregational song leader should _____.
Conducting, Lesson 9: Congregational Song Leading
Sing loudly through each verse
Expect everyone to always sing unison
Berate the congregation for singing badly
Never vary the songs
Encourage the congregation
Never conduct with his hands
45. Analyze the following chord progression.
Inspirational Improvisation - Piano, Lesson 3: Minor Chord Substitutions
I - IV - V
ii - V - I
I - ii - iii
iii - ii - I
IV - V7 - I
I - V7 - I
46. A good warm-up for singing is _______.
Vocal Technique, Lesson 5: Phonation - Vocal Production
reading out loud
pushing against the wall
light, open humming
practicing a tremolo
singing scales on very high notes
47. Remove the _______ from action as much as possible
Vocal Technique, Lesson 8: Articulation and Phrasing
48. The Bible teaches that for a Christian to obtain wisdom, he should _____.
Bible Music Philosophy, Lesson 8: Developing Discernment
Read many books
Meditate a lot
Use his imagination
Pray for it
49. Which of these would NOT be a good situation in which to mirror the right hand with the left hand?
Conducting, Lesson 7: The Left Hand
To indicate you want a larger sound
Conducting physically separated groups
Directing a small ensemble
To indicate emphasis
Conducting a very large group
Conducting a choir and an orchestra simultaneously
50. A "hook" is a short passage of a song that ____.
Inspirational Improvisation - Piano, Lesson 8: Hooks
Uses color notes
Substitutes a tritone
Moves by step
Utilizes a ii7-V7-I cadence
Doubles the melody
All content on this site copyright © 2016 by Asaph Music Co.