"Equipping Local Church Musicians for the Work of the Ministry"
1. Tapping your foot while conducting _____.
Conducting, Lesson 8: Other Body Language
Keeps the performers on the beat
Weakens your communication
Helps energize your conducting
Helps you keep time better
Makes your leg tired
Lets the performers know you have rhythm
2. The iii min7 chord can be easily substituted for the ____ chord.
Inspirational Improvisation - Piano, Lesson 3: Minor Chord Substitutions
3. Name the following rest.
Music Theory, Lesson 1: Notes and Rests
Double whole rest
4. The term that means to "speed up" is _____.
Music Theory, Lesson 7: Tempo Markings
Poco a poco
5. The text can only reflect sound doctrine when it is _______.
Vocal Technique, Lesson 9: Communicate the Message
6. Identify the number of steps between the two notes.
Music Theory, Lesson 4: Piano Notes
7. Breathy, disconnected singing on high notes is called _______.
Vocal Technique, Lesson 7: Vocal Registers
8. Music, apart from the words, has no moral content.
Bible Music Philosophy, Lesson 2: Music Speaks
9. The notes in the following song _____.
Sight Singing, Lesson 6: Pitch Movement
Stay the same
Are in the wrong key
Combine three different movement types
Skip around within the tonic triad
10. One goal of good posture is to release all tension from around the _______.
Vocal Technique, Lesson 2: Supportive Posture
11. What is the scale number of the following note in a major key?
Sight Singing, Lesson 5: Pitches and Scales
12. Identify the movement of the following pitches in the major key of C.
Sight Singing, Lesson 7: Other Intervals
Stepwise within the scale
Skipping within the supertonic triad
Movement to the 7th note of the scale
Skipping within the tonic triad
13. The best warm-up for singing is _______.
Vocal Technique, Lesson 5: Phonation - Vocal Production
mimicking opera singers
arpeggiated lip trills
soft, breathy scales
14. D. S. means _____.
Music Theory, Lesson 2: Staff Notation
Go to Fine
Go back to the sign
Go back to the beginning
Go to the Coda
Go back to the forward repeat sign
15. Left hand arpeggios sound better when using ____.
Inspirational Improvisation - Piano, Lesson 7: Technical Treatments
16. A bottom number of "2" in a time signature indicates a _____.
Conducting, Lesson 2: Finding the Pulse
17. Because we are presenting a picture of who God is, when we sing we should _______.
Vocal Technique, Lesson 1: A Reason to Sing
always sing loudly
show our love for all mankind
make sure we relate to people
strive to please the most people
appeal to our audience
strive for excellence
18. Please identify this portion of the conducting pattern diagram.
Conducting, Lesson 3: Basic Conducting Patterns
Flick of the wrist
19. A good pianist should always be taking regular piano lessons.
Inspirational Improvisation - Piano, Lesson 9: Feeling
20. Tenors are _____.
Sight Singing, Lesson 9: Singing Parts
Men who sing the highest notes
Ladies who sing the mid-range notes
Men who sing the mid-range notes
Men who sing the lowest notes
Ladies who sing the highest notes
Ladies who sing the lowest notes
21. One way to experience diaphragmatic breathing is to lay on _______.
Vocal Technique, Lesson 3: Breathe from the Diaphragm
the grass and take a nap
your back on the floor
your stomach on a couch
a bunch of pillows
your side on the bed
a hammock and breathe deeply
22. The goal of good singing is _______.
Vocal Technique, Lesson 8: Articulation and Phrasing
23. A diminshed interval is a half step smaller than what interval?
Music Theory, Lesson 5: Intervals
24. The following rhythm should be read as _____.
Sight Singing, Lesson 4: Advanced Rhythm
25. Name the note.
Music Theory, Lesson 3: Note Names
26. A triad consists of ____.
Inspirational Improvisation - Piano, Lesson 1: Understanding Foundational Chords and Function
Three notes separated by a second
The three main chords in one song
Three notes a fifth apart
Three notes in the space of one beat
Three notes moving up the scale melodically
Three notes separated by a third
27. Closing the hand while bouncing downward indicates a _____.
Conducting, Lesson 4: Beginning, Holding and Ending
28. The _____ tells the performer how many beats are in each measure.
Sight Singing, Lesson 2: Quarter, Half and Whole Notes
Double bar line
29. Another word for "seer" is _____.
Bible Music Philosophy, Lesson 5: Music in the Church
30. Which of the following is NOT one of the purposes of a hook?
Inspirational Improvisation - Piano, Lesson 8: Hooks
Bridge a change in style
Incorporating a pattern throughout the song
Interlude between verses
Better congregational accompaniment
31. The vocal folds can affect _______ and control _______.
Vocal Technique, Lesson 4: The Vocal Mechanism
tone quality, swallowing
swallowing, tone quality
32. Lead with your gestures in expressing the _____.
Conducting, Lesson 9: Congregational Song Leading
Key of the song
Message of the text
Topic of the sermon
Pitch of the melody
33. Paul and Silas sang a song of praise to God while in a _____.
Bible Music Philosophy, Lesson 3: A History of Music in the Bible
34. In the key of C, the following pitch should be sung _____.
Sight Singing, Lesson 8: Reading Accidentals
35. The term "dynamics" refers to _____ in music
Music Theory, Lesson 8: Dynamics and Accents
36. Which of these is NOT a good use of the left hand?
Conducting, Lesson 7: The Left Hand
Indicate separate cut-offs
Help carry a note over
Mirror the right hand
Cue for movement within parts
Move it in the same direction as the right hand
37. When reading the chord notation "Bb/D", you should play ____.
Inspirational Improvisation - Piano, Lesson 6: Step Progressions
D note in the right hand, Bb chord with the left
D Chord in the right hand, Bb note in the bass
Bb chord in the left, D chord in the right
Bb note in the right hand, D chord with the left
Bb chord in the right hand, D note in the bass
Bb chord in the right, D chord in the left
38. Identify the name of the major key.
Music Theory, Lesson 6: Key Signatures
39. Adding a 2nd to a 7th chord is called adding a ____.
Inspirational Improvisation - Piano, Lesson 4: Adding Color Notes
40. The 7th note should most often be used as an inner voice of the chord.
Inspirational Improvisation - Piano, Lesson 2: Adding 7ths
41. The musical style should be appropriate for the audience.
Bible Music Philosophy, Lesson 7: Musical Balance
42. Causing "offense" to a weaker brother means to cause him to _____.
Bible Music Philosophy, Lesson 8: Developing Discernment
43. Identify the following mark.
Music Theory, Lesson 9: Accidentals and Phrasing
44. How many half notes fit in the same time as a whole note?
Sight Singing, Lesson 1: Discover the Pulse
45. Psalm 119:54 says, "Thy _____ have been my songs."
Bible Music Philosophy, Lesson 6: The Power of Music
46. A quick, choppy ictus indicates a _____ note.
Conducting, Lesson 5: Expressive Gestures
47. The oral cavity is found in the _______.
Vocal Technique, Lesson 6: Resonance
48. The student should read the following figure as _____.
Sight Singing, Lesson 3: Eighths, Sixteenths and Triplets
49. Asaph wrote at least _____ psalms.
Bible Music Philosophy, Lesson 9: Moving Forward
50. Which of these would be a common grouping of beats within a 5 beat pattern?
Conducting, Lesson 6: Advanced Conducting Patterns
All content on this site copyright © 2014 by Asaph Music Co.