"Equipping Local Church Musicians for the Work of the Ministry"
1. Most Bible musicians were un-educated in the area of music.
Bible Music Philosophy, Lesson 5: Music in the Church
2. Who sang at creation?
Vocal Technique, Lesson 1: A Reason to Sing
The "morning stars"
The land and seas
God the Father
3. What is a triplet?
Music Theory, Lesson 1: Notes and Rests
3 notes in the space of a whole note
3 notes in the space of 2
1 note in the space of 3
3 notes in the space of 1
A note that gets 3 beats
2 notes in the space of 3
4. Breathy, disconnected singing on high notes is called _______.
Vocal Technique, Lesson 7: Vocal Registers
5. The breathing apparatus should be free to provide _______ and tonal support
Vocal Technique, Lesson 2: Supportive Posture
6. When reading the chord notation "Bb/D", you should play ____.
Inspirational Improvisation - Piano, Lesson 6: Step Progressions
Bb chord in the left, D chord in the right
D note in the right hand, Bb chord with the left
Bb chord in the right hand, D note in the bass
Bb note in the right hand, D chord with the left
D Chord in the right hand, Bb note in the bass
Bb chord in the right, D chord in the left
7. Identify the following mark.
Music Theory, Lesson 9: Accidentals and Phrasing
8. Which of the following Bible characters is not mentioned as being musical?
Bible Music Philosophy, Lesson 3: A History of Music in the Bible
9. Name the note.
Music Theory, Lesson 3: Note Names
10. Christian music is to be directed to _____.
Bible Music Philosophy, Lesson 4: What Is Christian Music?
11. Which of the following chords can be easily substituted for the I chord.
Inspirational Improvisation - Piano, Lesson 3: Minor Chord Substitutions
12. The notes in the following song _____.
Sight Singing, Lesson 6: Pitch Movement
Are half notes
Are all note number 5
Combine the three different movements
Skip around within the tonic triad
Stay the same
13. The student should say _____ when reading the following note.
Sight Singing, Lesson 2: Quarter, Half and Whole Notes
14. Identify the movement of the following pitches in the major key of C.
Sight Singing, Lesson 7: Other Intervals
Skipping within the tonic triad
Movement to the 7th note of the scale
Stepwise within the scale
Skipping within the supertonic triad
15. How many beats does a dotted half note get?
Sight Singing, Lesson 4: Advanced Rhythm
16. The term "meno" means _____.
Music Theory, Lesson 7: Tempo Markings
17. The preferred voicing for any 7th or color chord is ____ voicing.
Inspirational Improvisation - Piano, Lesson 5: Voicing
18. In the key of C, the following pitch should be sung _____.
Sight Singing, Lesson 8: Reading Accidentals
19. The _____ of a song speaks to our will and our spirit
Bible Music Philosophy, Lesson 2: Music Speaks
20. The most commonly used conducting pattern is _____.
Conducting, Lesson 2: Finding the Pulse
21. Left hand arpeggios sound better when using closed voicing.
Inspirational Improvisation - Piano, Lesson 7: Technical Treatments
22. In the following figure, the highlighted note would be sung by the _____.
Sight Singing, Lesson 9: Singing Parts
23. The Italian word that means to "gradually get louder" is _____
Music Theory, Lesson 8: Dynamics and Accents
24. Asaph wrote at least _____ psalms.
Bible Music Philosophy, Lesson 9: Moving Forward
25. Identify the name of the major key.
Music Theory, Lesson 6: Key Signatures
26. We are to _____ that which is worldly and unholy.
Bible Music Philosophy, Lesson 1: Take Me to Your Leader
27. Intervals larger than an octave are called _____ intervals.
Music Theory, Lesson 5: Intervals
28. The Bible teaches that for a Christian to obtain wisdom, he should _____.
Bible Music Philosophy, Lesson 8: Developing Discernment
Read many books
Use his imagination
Pray for it
Meditate a lot
29. What is the scale number of the following note in a major key?
Sight Singing, Lesson 5: Pitches and Scales
30. Another word for the musical pulse is ______.
Conducting, Lesson 1: Introduction to Conducting
31. Which type of music is more likely to appeal to the flesh?
Bible Music Philosophy, Lesson 7: Musical Balance
32. A worthwhile goal in music is to try to achieve a ____ sound.
Inspirational Improvisation - Piano, Lesson 9: Feeling
33. The following pattern is an example of _____.
Conducting, Lesson 5: Expressive Gestures
34. The jaw should be _________ as much as possible.
Vocal Technique, Lesson 8: Articulation and Phrasing
made to work
removed from action
involved in articulation
35. A measure is _____.
Music Theory, Lesson 2: Staff Notation
A repeated section
The space between two bar lines
Really a fancy G
Two connected staves
The scale on which the music is based
A vertical line
36. "Shell voicing" is the term used to describe playing ____.
Inspirational Improvisation - Piano, Lesson 2: Adding 7ths
Diminished 7ths exclusively
Alberti bass lines
Beside the ocean
The 7th note with the thumb of the right hand
6ths in the left hand
Notes 1 and 7 in the left hand
37. Who does not necessarily need a copy of the service schedule?
Conducting, Lesson 9: Congregational Song Leading
The assistant pastor
38. The singer should _______ the listeners.
Vocal Technique, Lesson 9: Communicate the Message
make eye contact with
collect fees from
39. Correct breathing causes the _______ to visibly expand on inhalation.
Vocal Technique, Lesson 3: Breathe from the Diaphragm
40. When indicating a held out note, do not _____.
Conducting, Lesson 4: Beginning, Holding and Ending
Indicate the ictus
Move upward slowly
Break or carry over
41. In 4/4 time, the eighth note receives how many beats?
Sight Singing, Lesson 3: Eighths, Sixteenths and Triplets
42. Psalm 119:54 says, "Thy statutes have been my _____."
Bible Music Philosophy, Lesson 6: The Power of Music
43. One of the purposes of a "hook" is to provide an introduction to a song.
Inspirational Improvisation - Piano, Lesson 8: Hooks
44. This conducting pattern is used to direct a song with how many beats?
Conducting, Lesson 3: Basic Conducting Patterns
45. The "inner smile" is really only helpful when singing _______.
Vocal Technique, Lesson 6: Resonance
in the whistle register
in head voice
46. Which of the following does the singer not have to avoid?
Vocal Technique, Lesson 5: Phonation - Vocal Production
47. Adding a 4th to a 7th chord is called adding a ____.
Inspirational Improvisation - Piano, Lesson 4: Adding Color Notes
48. Identify the number of steps between the two notes.
Music Theory, Lesson 4: Piano Notes
49. Which of these would NOT be a good situation in which to mirror the right hand with the left hand?
Conducting, Lesson 7: The Left Hand
To indicate you want a larger sound
Conducting a choir and an orchestra simultaneously
To indicate emphasis
Conducting a very large group
Conducting physically separated groups
Directing a small ensemble
50. Which chords are naturally minor in any given major key?
Inspirational Improvisation - Piano, Lesson 1: Understanding Foundational Chords and Function
v, vi, vii
i, iv, v
i, ii, iii
iii, vi, vii
ii, iii, vi
ii, iii, iv
All content on this site copyright © 2014 by Asaph Music Co.