"Equipping Local Church Musicians for the Work of the Ministry"
1. The larynx and upper thorax primarily resonate the _______.
Vocal Technique, Lesson 6: Resonance
mixed voice notes
full range of notes
2. Falsetto singing sounds _______.
Vocal Technique, Lesson 7: Vocal Registers
3. The vocal folds can raise the pitch by _______.
Vocal Technique, Lesson 4: The Vocal Mechanism
shortening the vibrating portion
resisting air pressure
4. In the key of Eb, the bass note of the #I7 chord would be ____.
Inspirational Improvisation - Piano, Lesson 6: Step Progressions
5. A dot on a note adds _____.
Music Theory, Lesson 1: Notes and Rests
2 times the original note's value
1/4 of the original note's time value
1/2 of the original note's time value
6. Adding a 2nd to a 7th chord is called adding a ____.
Inspirational Improvisation - Piano, Lesson 4: Adding Color Notes
7. Name the note.
Music Theory, Lesson 3: Note Names
8. Marcato means to perform _____.
Music Theory, Lesson 9: Accidentals and Phrasing
Accented and slightly disconnected
Without breathing in this section
Like a rainbow
With great enthusiasm
While marching in tempo
Smooth and connected
9. God sent an earthquake when ______ prayed and sang.
Bible Music Philosophy, Lesson 6: The Power of Music
Deborah and Barak
Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego
Paul and Silas
James and John
Matthew and Mark
Ananias and Sapphira
10. Tapping your foot while conducting _____.
Conducting, Lesson 8: Other Body Language
Makes your leg tired
Helps you keep time better
Lets the performers know you have rhythm
Weakens your communication
Keeps the performers on the beat
Helps energize your conducting
11. In 4/4 time, what kind of note receives 1/2 beat?
Sight Singing, Lesson 3: Eighths, Sixteenths and Triplets
12. Name the piano note.
Music Theory, Lesson 4: Piano Notes
13. Dead gestures may be used by a choral conductor during _____.
Conducting, Lesson 5: Expressive Gestures
14. Which type of music tends to be more rythmic in nature?
Bible Music Philosophy, Lesson 7: Musical Balance
15. A psalm is a song containing _____.
Bible Music Philosophy, Lesson 8: Developing Discernment
The words of Scripture
16. The singer should stand with his weight _______.
Vocal Technique, Lesson 2: Supportive Posture
mostly on one foot
on the inside of his feet
back on his heels
forward on balls of feet
on the sides of his feet
17. Good breathing technique creates a larger range of possible _______.
Vocal Technique, Lesson 3: Breathe from the Diaphragm
18. The top number in a time signature indicates _____.
Conducting, Lesson 2: Finding the Pulse
How many performers are needed
Which notes are flat or sharp
The speed of the music
The fraction of notes used per measure
The number of beats per measure
The type of note used as the basis of rhythm
19. Only a saved person can understand _____ principles.
Bible Music Philosophy, Lesson 1: Take Me to Your Leader
20. A good pianist maintains a good balance between confidence and humility.
Inspirational Improvisation - Piano, Lesson 9: Feeling
21. According to Scripture, which person of the Godhead blows the trumpet?
Bible Music Philosophy, Lesson 3: A History of Music in the Bible
God the Holy Spirit
God the Father
God the Son
22. On choral music, parts are abbreviated as _____.
Sight Singing, Lesson 9: Singing Parts
23. Which of the following means "extremely fast?"
Music Theory, Lesson 7: Tempo Markings
24. How many quarter notes fit in the same time as a whole note?
Sight Singing, Lesson 1: Discover the Pulse
25. How many half steps make up a major third?
Inspirational Improvisation - Piano, Lesson 1: Understanding Foundational Chords and Function
26. Which of these is NOT known to be a musician?
Vocal Technique, Lesson 1: A Reason to Sing
27. The goal of good singing is _______.
Vocal Technique, Lesson 8: Articulation and Phrasing
28. When adding a natural 7th note, the ii, iii and vi chords become ____ chords.
Inspirational Improvisation - Piano, Lesson 2: Adding 7ths
Half Diminished 7th
29. How many times should the song number be announced?
Conducting, Lesson 9: Congregational Song Leading
30. One purpose of the preparatory beat is to precisely indicate the moment of the _____.
Conducting, Lesson 4: Beginning, Holding and Ending
31. Being able to perform different tasks with separate hands simultaneously is called _____.
Conducting, Lesson 7: The Left Hand
32. When substituting chords, try to make the altered chord progression move by _____.
Inspirational Improvisation - Piano, Lesson 3: Minor Chord Substitutions
Fifths or steps
Fourths or fifths
Steps or sixths
Fifths or thirds
Seconds or thirds
Octaves or sevenths
33. A "hook" is a short passage of a song that ____.
Inspirational Improvisation - Piano, Lesson 8: Hooks
Substitutes a tritone
Uses color notes
Utilizes a ii7-V7-I cadence
Moves by step
Doubles the melody
34. A _____ adds the time value of the next smaller note to the original note.
Sight Singing, Lesson 4: Advanced Rhythm
35. The treble clef is a stylized _____.
Music Theory, Lesson 2: Staff Notation
36. What is the scale number of the following note in a major key?
Sight Singing, Lesson 5: Pitches and Scales
37. Many Old Testament musicians were involved in music full-time.
Bible Music Philosophy, Lesson 5: Music in the Church
38. The notes in the tonic triad are _____.
Sight Singing, Lesson 6: Pitch Movement
2, 4, 6
1, 2, 3
1, 5, 7
2, 3, 5
1, 3, 5
3, 5, 7
39. Name the following rest.
Sight Singing, Lesson 2: Quarter, Half and Whole Notes
40. Identify the interval.
Music Theory, Lesson 5: Intervals
41. The melody note in the following example is number ____ in the chord.
Inspirational Improvisation - Piano, Lesson 5: Voicing
42. It is important that we write fresh new songs of praise for our generation.
Bible Music Philosophy, Lesson 9: Moving Forward
43. A sharp sign in front of a note means the note is to sound _____.
Sight Singing, Lesson 8: Reading Accidentals
A half step higher
A half step lower
As it would normally within the key signature
44. This conducting pattern is used to direct a song with how many beats?
Conducting, Lesson 3: Basic Conducting Patterns
45. If a key signature has 4 sharps, which notes are sharped?
Music Theory, Lesson 6: Key Signatures
46. Identify the following accent mark.
Music Theory, Lesson 8: Dynamics and Accents
47. The singer should be a(n) _______, making the listener a partner in a song to the Lord.
Vocal Technique, Lesson 9: Communicate the Message
48. The _______ can be used to help the singer focus the sound.
Vocal Technique, Lesson 5: Phonation - Vocal Production
49. The ictus indicates _____.
Conducting, Lesson 1: Introduction to Conducting
The instant of cut-off
The lead-in to the next beat
One beat before the performers begin
The precise instant of the rhythmic pulse
The upward bounce following the beat
50. The _____ of a song speaks to our intellect and emtions.
Bible Music Philosophy, Lesson 2: Music Speaks
All content on this site copyright © 2013 by Asaph Music Co.