"Equipping Local Church Musicians for the Work of the Ministry"
1. A prerequisite to performing music that is "special" is to make technique subconscious.
Inspirational Improvisation - Piano, Lesson 9: Feeling
2. The _____ denotes the scale used in a song by listing the flats or sharps.
Music Theory, Lesson 2: Staff Notation
3. Super head voice is sometimes called _______.
Vocal Technique, Lesson 7: Vocal Registers
4. Identify the movement of the following pitches in the major key of C.
Sight Singing, Lesson 7: Other Intervals
Skipping within the supertonic triad
Skipping within the tonic triad
Stepwise within the scale
Movement to the 7th note of the scale
5. _______ means the muscles controlling the vocal folds are not usually controlled directly through concious thought.
Vocal Technique, Lesson 5: Phonation - Vocal Production
6. Our singing should _______ the saved.
Vocal Technique, Lesson 1: A Reason to Sing
7. The following notes in the major key of C move by _____.
Sight Singing, Lesson 6: Pitch Movement
Staying on the same pitch
Moving stepwise within the scale
Skipping around within the tonic triad
8. What kind of note gets 1/2 of a beat?
Music Theory, Lesson 1: Notes and Rests
Double whole note
9. The student should sing an _____ vowel sound when raising the pitch a half step.
Sight Singing, Lesson 8: Reading Accidentals
10. A simple way to add rhythmic variety to a song is to change the ____.
Inspirational Improvisation - Piano, Lesson 7: Technical Treatments
11. Who received inspiration while listening to the music of a minstrel?
Bible Music Philosophy, Lesson 3: A History of Music in the Bible
12. The chest voice is primarily resonated in _______.
Vocal Technique, Lesson 6: Resonance
the larynx and upper thorax
the sinus cavities
13. When reading the following note, the student should say _____.
Sight Singing, Lesson 2: Quarter, Half and Whole Notes
14. Each beat in a song can be _____.
Sight Singing, Lesson 1: Discover the Pulse
Subdivided or elongated
15. Focus on Christ and the message of the song to avoid _______.
Vocal Technique, Lesson 9: Communicate the Message
losing your mind
locking your knees
16. Name the note.
Music Theory, Lesson 3: Note Names
17. The word "takt" refers to the _____ of the music.
Conducting, Lesson 1: Introduction to Conducting
18. This conducting pattern is used to direct a song with how many beats?
Conducting, Lesson 6: Advanced Conducting Patterns
19. Identify the interval.
Music Theory, Lesson 5: Intervals
20. Which of the following is the softest marking?
Music Theory, Lesson 8: Dynamics and Accents
21. When adding a natural 7th note, the I and IV chords become ____ chords.
Inspirational Improvisation - Piano, Lesson 2: Adding 7ths
Half Diminished 7th
22. Name the piano note.
Music Theory, Lesson 4: Piano Notes
23. A Secondary Dominant chord most often progresses to the chord a ____ below it.
Inspirational Improvisation - Piano, Lesson 1: Understanding Foundational Chords and Function
24. Music, apart from the words, has no moral content.
Bible Music Philosophy, Lesson 2: Music Speaks
25. The ____ chord can be substituted for the V7 chord in the progression ii-V7-I.
Inspirational Improvisation - Piano, Lesson 6: Step Progressions
vii (dim) 7
26. Please identify this portion of the conducting pattern diagram.
Conducting, Lesson 3: Basic Conducting Patterns
Flick of the wrist
27. The Bible teaches that for a Christian to obtain wisdom, he should _____.
Bible Music Philosophy, Lesson 8: Developing Discernment
Pray for it
Meditate a lot
Use his imagination
Read many books
28. Ladies who sing the mid-range notes are called _____.
Sight Singing, Lesson 9: Singing Parts
Second sopranos, or mezzo sopranos
29. Identify the following figure.
Sight Singing, Lesson 4: Advanced Rhythm
Three note chord
Eighth note triplet
Quarter note triplet
30. Raising the eyebrows can help to correct _____ problems.
Conducting, Lesson 8: Other Body Language
31. The vocal folds operate according to the _______.
Vocal Technique, Lesson 4: The Vocal Mechanism
Einstein's theory of relativity
second law of thermodynamics
Newton's laws of motion
periodic table of the elements
32. Old Testament musicians were from the tribe of _____.
Bible Music Philosophy, Lesson 9: Moving Forward
33. An apostrophe above the music indicates the performer is to _____.
Music Theory, Lesson 9: Accidentals and Phrasing
Hold the pitch
Raise the pitch
Lower the pitch
34. If a hook is used at the beginning of a song, the last chord of the hook does not need to lead into the song.
Inspirational Improvisation - Piano, Lesson 8: Hooks
35. Which type of music is more likely to be self-accompanied?
Bible Music Philosophy, Lesson 7: Musical Balance
36. One purpose of the preparatory beat is to precisely indicate the moment of the _____.
Conducting, Lesson 4: Beginning, Holding and Ending
37. Think of the vowels as being tall and ________.
Vocal Technique, Lesson 8: Articulation and Phrasing
38. In 4/4 time, what kind of note receives 1/2 beat?
Sight Singing, Lesson 3: Eighths, Sixteenths and Triplets
39. One goal of good posture is to release all tension from around the _______.
Vocal Technique, Lesson 2: Supportive Posture
40. The Italian word for "less" is _____.
Music Theory, Lesson 7: Tempo Markings
41. The ____ chord can be easily substituted for the I chord.
Inspirational Improvisation - Piano, Lesson 3: Minor Chord Substitutions
42. What is the scale number of the following note in a major key?
Sight Singing, Lesson 5: Pitches and Scales
43. In 2 Chronicles 5, the musicians wore _____.
Bible Music Philosophy, Lesson 5: Music in the Church
The garments of the high priest
Suits and ties
Coats of many colors
44. The _______ is attached to the base of the ribs.
Vocal Technique, Lesson 3: Breathe from the Diaphragm
45. It may be appropriate to lead with just your voice if you are directing _____.
Conducting, Lesson 9: Congregational Song Leading
A small class or congregation
A children's choir
A large congregation
A Christmas cantata
46. Conducting the pattern faster or slower indicates a change in _____.
Conducting, Lesson 5: Expressive Gestures
47. Compound meter indicates the main beat can be subdivided into _____ parts.
Conducting, Lesson 2: Finding the Pulse
48. The melody note in the following example is number ____ in the chord.
Inspirational Improvisation - Piano, Lesson 5: Voicing
49. Saul's "evil spirit departed" as a result of David's harp playing. This was a _____ affect.
Bible Music Philosophy, Lesson 6: The Power of Music
50. Which of these would NOT be a good situation in which to mirror the right hand with the left hand?
Conducting, Lesson 7: The Left Hand
Conducting a choir and an orchestra simultaneously
To indicate you want a larger sound
To indicate emphasis
Conducting a very large group
Conducting physically separated groups
Directing a small ensemble
All content on this site copyright © 2015 by Asaph Music Co.